1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Open University

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TUddin, Jul 8, 2011.

1. I am considering applying for a PGCE with Open University this september. Could anyone tell
    me if they are recognised or would I have wasted my time if I do go
    ahead.
    Any advice would be appreciated

Kind Regards

2. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I think OU are well respected - you should go for it!

3. MayKasahara

MayKasahara New commenter

As far as I know an OU PGCE is recognised in the same way as a PGCE from any other university. However, if I were you I would get in touch with the OU to find out how they arrange your teaching placements and if the placements are guaranteed for a certain date. This is only because I have heard of people who had to delay their studies or were asked to find their own placemnents as the OU couldn't provide a placement school. Obviously this could happen with other providers and I may just know some unlucky people but it might be worth checking out!

4. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I can't speak for the OU, TUddin, but have you considered applying for a flexi PGCE with one of the providers of this type of course in the UK?

5. Thanks for all your replies. I haven't yet. Its just I am too late to do anything this year so I was wondering this may be possibility. Could you kindly inform me any providers you may know of?

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Sorry for the late reply, TUddin. The one I have direct experience of is the flexi PGCE (primary) at Northumbria University (see link below), but I know there are several others.
    It depends on whether you're looking for primary or secondary. The TDA website should help you find the specific course that you're looking for.
    http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/?view=CourseDetail&code=GTDPRE6