1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE of GTP Primary- Which is better going into an NQT Interview?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by BelstaffTrialmaster, Mar 6, 2011.

1. I am in a very fortunate position to be offered a PGCE at Birmingham City University and also a GTP through the East Northamptonshire Training College in Raunds.

What I am seeking for now is advice on which is best for a career, going into NQT Interviews and such?
    Disregarding the Financial incentives and such, simply which would be the best career route?

Your Views will really be appreciated.

2. I am in a very fortunate position to be offered a PGCE at Birmingham City University and also a GTP through the East Northamptonshire Training College in Raunds.

What I am seeking for now is advice on which is best for a career, going into NQT Interviews and such?
    Disregarding the Financial incentives and such, simply which would be the best career route?

Your Views will really be appreciated.

3. Personal view only... but for me the initials on your certificate would be less important than what YOU have learned/become as a result of your course.
    I have come across excellent and awful teachers from both routes, so would not want to rule somebody out simply because they had one particular type of qualifcation rather than another.
    One possible danger with GTP is becoming "too close" to one school's way of doing things, without much/opportunity to step back and evaluate what you are learning. But on the other hand you will get a wealth of experience in the day-to-day running of a school that a student on a series of short term placements.
    My current school is staffed by a mixture of all three... and the richer for it.
    So, for me at least, it's the person and not the paper, that matters...
    C x

4. Meaning BEd, PGCE & GTP...
    C x

5. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I have a feeling that the GTP isn't recognised overseas. I'm not sure if this might influence our decision at all?

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

PGCE and BEds are preferred overseas. As a previous poster wrote, your quality as a teacher is more important, but as a recuiter facing two identical candidates I'd be swayed towards PGCE.