1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE NQT year in Scotland.

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by moumouneel, Mar 9, 2019.

1. moumouneel

moumouneel New commenter

Hello,

I just wanted to know if I can get a job as an NQT in Scotland with an MFL PGCE.

Thank you for your answers :)

2. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

It's possible, but difficult. You would need first of all to check that your qualifications match the requirements of GTC Scotland for your subject (presumably they do), and they would need then to agree to your provisional registration. You would then be put on the Flexible Route for Probationer Teachers, which essentially means that you are responsible for finding your own work - this will only be supply (which in Scotland is directly with the local authorities) or a fixed term contract, such as maternity cover - and it's not possible for schools to appoint you on a permanent contract as you have to have full registration for this.

If your thinking of moving to Scotland then, I'd recommend that you first speak to GTCS before you do anything - they are quite approachable about this sort of thing and will be honest with you. It may be that you are better off doing your NQT year in England and then transferring, although I think even then there are some obstacles to overcome.