1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE / NQT working patterns

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by thinkingofteaching, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Hi- hoping to hear your experiences on this.
    I am hoping to start a Primary PGCE Sep 2012 and need to work out what working patterns will be like so I can make childcare arrangements.
    Obviously I realise that there is a HUGE amount of prep/ planning/ assignments to be done. Is it usually left to you to decide when /where /how you do your prep/ planning/ paperwork or is there an expectation that some of it is done in school immediately after the end of the school day?

Thanks

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My PGCE student drops her children at their school breakfast club at 8.00am and then comes to school. They are booked in after school club until 6.00pm, though she tries to pick them up sooner if possible. The booking is just to make sure they are looked after, should things come up at school.

3. In my experience, generally, it's up to you when and where you do your preparation and planning. However, you might be expected to stay after school for meetings, and realistically you'll be there for at least 30-45 mins after the end of school each day as you'll want to set up for the following day. I have children and I dropped them at the childminder at 8am (my placement schools were all fairly near to home) and then collected them between 4pm and 6pm depending on the day. It was rare I stayed in school beyond 4.30pm, but I had to do a lot of work at home.

4. In my experience at my uni, parents had priority over placements as close to home as could be arranged. Even so I dropped mine off at around 7am and paid for child care till 6pm because although some schools don't mind teachers/students leaving at around 4 others expected you to stay later to discuss things with mentors as well as set up for the next day. So different schools had different expectations, just be clear at the beginning that you are flexible to a understandable point. That said, I never once had a problem when I said I had to leave now to collect my kids.
    The PGCE was far less time consuming than the NQT year though!
    With no regrets, I wish you good luck!