1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE nightmare

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by PARTALOA, Dec 22, 2011.

1. PARTALOA

PARTALOA New commenter

Dear Stephen
    I graduated this year with a PGCE in PCET teaching languages(Spanish/Italian) and I have the relevant MFL degree. Additionally I have a CELTA qualification. I've been teaching languages for 3 yrs on a part-time evening basis. I'm in the process of professional formation QTLS and understand that this maybe recognised as equivalent to QTS for secondary education. However, after several job applications even for a non teaching post been declined because of lack of classroom experience at GCSE level I am at a low ebb. I can't do another PGCE as I work full time with 2 toddlers. My degree and PGCE took 9 yrs to complete (as I had to do it part-time) I can't get a permanent full time job in FE, can't get a job in either primary or secondary, due to lack of experience, can't get the experience because of work committments. What can I do? The TDA sent me a text about the demand for MFL teachers but I'm not getting any joy ?? What's your advice? I think it's really important that we get children into languages at an early age, despite an offer from me to teach as an after school activity in the school for free, I still can't get any positive feedback. I feel the whole 9 yrs has been a waste!!!

2. PARTALOA

PARTALOA New commenter

Dear Stephen
    I graduated this year with a PGCE in PCET teaching languages(Spanish/Italian) and I have the relevant MFL degree. Additionally I have a CELTA qualification. I've been teaching languages for 3 yrs on a part-time evening basis. I'm in the process of professional formation QTLS and understand that this maybe recognised as equivalent to QTS for secondary education. However, after several job applications even for a non teaching post been declined because of lack of classroom experience at GCSE level I am at a low ebb. I can't do another PGCE as I work full time with 2 toddlers. My degree and PGCE took 9 yrs to complete (as I had to do it part-time) I can't get a permanent full time job in FE, can't get a job in either primary or secondary, due to lack of experience, can't get the experience because of work committments. What can I do? The TDA sent me a text about the demand for MFL teachers but I'm not getting any joy ?? What's your advice? I think it's really important that we get children into languages at an early age, despite an offer from me to teach as an after school activity in the school for free, I still can't get any positive feedback. I feel the whole 9 yrs has been a waste!!!

3. If you wanted to teach in primary or secondary, why did you a PCET course? Yes, QTLS <u>might</u> eventually become interchangeable with QTS (that's what the Wolf report recommended, but it hasn't happened yet), but until it does you are not qualified to teach in the state sector for the 5-16 range. That's the bottom line. Your only choices would be to take a PGCE, try to get on a GTP programme, or work as an unqualified instructor.
    OtC

4. PARTALOA

PARTALOA New commenter

If you wanted to teach in primary or secondary, why did you a PCET course? Yes

At the time it was what I wanted to do, the PGCE was part time and I could do this as well as working to pay the mortgage & bills etc Can't leave work to do a full time PGCE and there is no where locally that is taking on teaching assistants without classroom experience, so therefore in one vicious circle. Unless I win the lottery to pay for another PGCE it's zilch !!

5. Modern
    foreign language teachers are certainly in demand as is reflected by the
    bursaries of up to &pound;20,000 which are offered this year for the PGCE.

Should
    you choose to wait until April to see if QTLS holders will be able to teach in
    schools, bear in mind that schools will still be looking for experience in that
    subject and level. It may be a good idea to speak to speak to PGCE and GTP
    course providers regarding a tailored course &ndash; you may not need to complete the
    full year because of your experience and some GTP providers can find a school
    for you. I suggest you ring the teaching information line for advice. You can
    contact them on 0800 389 2500.

Your
    studies and experience have certainly not been a waste as they will strengthen
    any application you make. However, any experience you can gain with the
    relevant age group will still be of great help. Good luck!