1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Middlesex Interview 2012

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rachelcruz, Feb 16, 2012.

1. <font size="2">Hi, </font>
    <font size="2">I'm not sure if I've written this post in the right place but I've
    been offered an interview at Middlesex University on Thursday 1st March 2012.</font>

<font size="2">I was just wondering if anyone else has any experience of
    interviewing at Middlesex and could let me know what to expect? I've received
    an email saying the basics of what the day involves but I'm a bit worried about
    the group discussion as there is no individual interview. I don't want to get
    lost in the group. </font>

<font size="2">I have had a look
    at other posts and noticed people discussing 'tasks' that were set on the day,
    one of which was a presentation. If anyone has any information on what this
    could be about id be really grateful. </font>

<font size="2">Thank in advance [​IMG] x</font>

2. <font size="2">Hi, </font>
    <font size="2">I'm not sure if I've written this post in the right place but I've
    been offered an interview at Middlesex University on Thursday 1st March 2012.</font>

<font size="2">I was just wondering if anyone else has any experience of
    interviewing at Middlesex and could let me know what to expect? I've received
    an email saying the basics of what the day involves but I'm a bit worried about
    the group discussion as there is no individual interview. I don't want to get
    lost in the group. </font>

<font size="2">I have had a look
    at other posts and noticed people discussing 'tasks' that were set on the day,
    one of which was a presentation. If anyone has any information on what this
    could be about id be really grateful. </font>

<font size="2">Thank in advance [​IMG] x</font>

3. hi rachel,
    i also have an interview for primary teaching in march, but mines the 7th!
    im so worried, yours is so soon...
    have you had any luck searching for information about the day?
    im struggling to find anything, theres quite a few blogs, but they all contradict theirselves. yours is the most recent one ive seen.
    Would you mind letting me know everything that you do on the 1st, i would really appreciate it!
    thanks!

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Its been a few years but from what I remember the group discussion is very collaborative rather than competitive. Everybody gets to contribute and if anything, those who are too dominant stand out for the wrong reasons. With the presentation we were given about 5 mins and a piece of acetate to prepare an outline our experience & journeys so far. It was not as daunting as it sounds and by this stage you are more comfortable with your interview group (there will be lots of you - I think I was in a group of about 25). The written task my year was to discuss the impact of SATS on education, but there are far more on trend topics! They do say what you write is not important, they are looking for structure, grammar, cohesive arguments etc... Overall I remember feeling exhausted by the end of it because it is a long day, yet none of the individual tasks were too overwhelming if that makes any sense? Good Luck!

5. Hi Autumnb,
    Sorry for not replying sooner, i hadn't noticed any replies!
    I havent really had much luck looking for more information but ive had a previous interview at another university, so i have a rough idea what to expect which is similar to what others have written about the Middlesex interview.
    I will let you know what happens on the 1st.
    Good luck for the 7th. You'll have to let me know how you get on too.
    x

6. Hi
    Cally1980,
    Thank you for replying to my post. Your reply defiantly made
    sense. I feel a lot more prepared for the day, thanks. I've been reading the
    TES every week and watching the news etc so I hope I'm up to date (topic wise)
    for the essay as that's the part I'm most worried about.
    Did you complete your course at Middlesex? How did you find the
    university facilities?
    x

7. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

No, I deferred for a year and then went to Herts instead. I did my degree at Middlesex, however I believe PGCE courses from September are now going to be at the Hendon campus instead of Trent Park (which is a shame, as it is gorgeous at TP!). I hear that Hendon has far more by way of facilities but in general it is not Middlesex's strong point!

8. Autumb,
    Im really really sorry and i dont know what happened but i've just come online to write my good news and seen my other post about my interview day hasnt been posted.
    I hope you found the day ok.
    Ive just found out i've got a place on the course for September. I hope you've been as lucky as me and gained a place too.
    Sorry again about my earlier post not being available for you.
    x