1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Mentor is an NQT

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Preet5, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Hi just a bit of advice really,
    I'm into the fourth week of placement at a school which I am enjoying might I add. My concern is that my University tutor has made it explicitly clear we are not to be mentored by NQT's, and as you might have guessed...I am.

My mentor is an NQT and the person who is actually supposed to be mentoring me is head of department but she literally has no time to to mentor me as she is co-ordinating other things in school.She does give me some feedback and with me teaching a double lesson of hers next week she will be observing this and giving me feedback on this.

I don't have a problem with the arrangement but I am having to lie to my University tutor about who is really mentoring me. I am really stuck as I don't want to move school which is essentially what will happen if my tutor finds out. Will having a NQT as a mentor invalidate my placement?

2. Hi just a bit of advice really,
    I'm into the fourth week of placement at a school which I am enjoying might I add. My concern is that my University tutor has made it explicitly clear we are not to be mentored by NQT's, and as you might have guessed...I am.

My mentor is an NQT and the person who is actually supposed to be mentoring me is head of department but she literally has no time to to mentor me as she is co-ordinating other things in school.She does give me some feedback and with me teaching a double lesson of hers next week she will be observing this and giving me feedback on this.

I don't have a problem with the arrangement but I am having to lie to my University tutor about who is really mentoring me. I am really stuck as I don't want to move school which is essentially what will happen if my tutor finds out. Will having a NQT as a mentor invalidate my placement?

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

It shouldn't invalidate it, but universities usually expect observations to be carried out by a fully qualified member of staff (which an NQT technically isn't). Any non-observation evidence you collect will still "count" regardless, of course.
    You should check this with your university, as it is likely to make a difference to observations and when your mentor signs you off.

4. There is no fixed rule or regiulation that says a NQT cannot mentor, but it is not good practice and your [provider may have a rule against it. It could be an issue for the provider who has to monitor the quality of mentoring and if OFSTED were to visit they could mark down the provider. The school is also placing itself in a difficult position if the NQT starts to struggle and the school tries to fail the NQT on induction they would have a very good case to appeal against this judgement on the grounds that they were given responsibility that they should not have during the NQT year. All around it is not good practice, but it does happen. Having a NQT as a mentor should not 'invalidate' your placement unless there is a specific regulation in the providers PGCE programme handbook, so do check.
    If all is well and no real issues are arising then it may be that the HOD is keeping an eye on things from afar and perhaps all will be well, but do keep a close check on things and if it starts going wrong contact your tutor immediately. I can't condone what they are doing, but only you know what the result of complaining now may be.
    James

5. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Captain O, an NQT is a fully qualified teacher!