1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Medical Questionnaire

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ComputingPunk, Jul 7, 2018.

1. ComputingPunk

ComputingPunk New commenter

Hello all,

I'm just wondering if anyone can provide me with a bit of reassurance.

I've recently accepted a place on a School Direct PGCE course - which I couldn't be more pleased about. I'm currently working through all the motions, including skills tests, DBS check, etc - all of which I have no concern regarding.

However, the course does require a medical questionnaire, which I am yet to receive. I'm a little concerned about this. Around this time last year, I came down with a spout of anxiety (regarding my health and such). I was treated with antidepressants and sessions with a therapist. The therapy was highly effective and I'd now consider my anxiety to be under control.

I'm not so sure how effective the anti-depressants were. However, I was advised to continue taking them during the course of the final year of my degree in order to avoid any adverse effects of withdrawal. Of course, now my degree is finished, I'm slowly reducing the dose and hope to have weened off them soon enough. I'm not overly sure how useful they were in the first place!

I'll obviously declare all of this on my medical questionnaire. But my concern is that I'm still taking the anti-depressants, so would the occupational health department see this as an issue? As far as I understand, the service is provided by an NHS trust independent to the school and university. I'm guessing they'll also want to speak with my GP to confirm the details I provide?

I'd appreciate any experiences of others who have been in a similar position.

Thanks in advance!

Josh

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You sound like you have the situation under control and as long this is declared then no problem -if the ITT provider want to investigate further then they will refer to occupational health who will contact your GP. However anxiety and general GP treatment and therapy referral is more common than most realise- particularly amongst teachers