1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Maths Interview at Sussex

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by tomtom690, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Hello

I have an interview at Uni. Sussex next week and I was wondering the best way to prepare for the interview. I have already written the 5 minute presentation which I have to do, and have brainstormed some answers to possible questions I am likely to be asked. I have also spent some time in schools, so am prepared to discuss my experiences there.

However, the point I feel I am weakest on is current educational issues. I wonder if anyone could tell me something which I could read up on to make me feel less nervous about this aspect of the interview?

Also, if anyone has any idea what the "timed written task" is likely to be, that would be good to know! The letter doesn't specify any further than that!

Many thanks,
    Tom Elwood.

2. Hi Tom,

I am waiting to hear back from Sussex, applying for secondary history, and I haven't had my interview confirmed yet so don't have the details you will have been given! However, I have been trying to prepare myself as best I can, and I found that the Kent career website has a lot of good tips.

http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/interviews/ivteaching.htm

People who have been to PGCE interviews have put up the questions they were asked (noting the uni and subject). Browse through for general stuff to put up, but for Sussex-specific questions and tasks, just use ctrl-F and type in Sussex.

Here is one on the written task:
    "SWOT analysis and two written assessments. We also had to carry out a subject audit which was writing about what we've studied and rating how well we know it. We also had one interviewer pretend to be a year 9, and had to take her phone off her. There was no time limit on the SWOT or written assessments. Assessment subjects were: 1. Describe what characteristics make an effective History teacher? 2. A friend is looking at secondary schools for his/her children. They ask your advice. What types of characteristics would you suggest they look for in an effective school? (Secondary History - Sussex)"

As for educational issues, there are tips on that too. The only one that pops up on the Kent website was that they asked what "Every Child Matters" was, so I assume it was put up a while ago. Through trawling the web for advice, the general consent is just to read the TES and research the issues it brings up. Probably best to research something that's really close to your heart since they will pick up on that when you discuss it.

I'd love to know how you get on, since hopefully I will be in you shoes soon.

Ali

3. Hi Tom,

I am waiting to hear back from Sussex, applying for secondary history, and I haven't had my interview confirmed yet so don't have the details you will have been given! However, I have been trying to prepare myself as best I can, and I found that the Kent career website has a lot of good tips.

http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/interviews/ivteaching.htm

People who have been to PGCE interviews have put up the questions they were asked (noting the uni and subject). Browse through for general stuff to put up, but for Sussex-specific questions and tasks, just use ctrl-F and type in Sussex.

Here is one on the written task:

"SWOT analysis and two written assessments. We also had to carry out a subject audit which was writing about what we've studied and rating how well we know it. We also had one interviewer pretend to be a year 9, and had to take her phone off her. There was no time limit on the SWOT or written assessments. Assessment subjects were: 1. Describe what characteristics make an effective History teacher? 2. A friend is looking at secondary schools for his/her children. They ask your advice. What types of characteristics would you suggest they look for in an effective school? (Secondary History - Sussex)"

As for educational issues, there are tips on that too. The only one that pops up on the Kent website was that they asked what "Every Child Matters" was, so I assume it was put up a while ago. Through trawling the web for advice, the general consent is just to read the TES and research the issues it brings up. Probably best to research something that's really close to your heart since they will pick up on that when you discuss it.

I'd love to know how you get on, since hopefully I will be in you shoes soon.

Ali