1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Maths: 11-16 or 11-18 course?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by anon1117, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Hiya,
    I'm on a course that claims to be 11-18, but haven't had any experience in teaching 16-18 as neither of my placement schools have sixth forms. It might be that you end up in a similar situation even if you went for the 11-18 route, it just depends on the individual provider.
    If you know you absolutely want to teach a level, it's probably worth asking the question of the further-away places to find out if they can guarantee a post 16 placement (even just a few weeks).
    Having said that, I've just got a job which will include a large responsibility for a level teaching, so lack of that particular experience hasn't hindered me!
    Your a level tutoring will clearly be a big asset on your CV whether you've had specific ITT training in that age group.
    Also worth bearing in mind in your decision process is that the PGCE is knackering. You probably should try to put yourself in the position that's going to cause least stress and other exhausting factors if at all possible.
    Good luck!