1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Mathematics Interview- help needed

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by nomita, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Hi there
    I really appreciate all your help and guidance that you all have given me spending your valuable time. I had another urgent request. I have an invite for PGCE Mathematics and there are two things that are open.
    1. a presentation (topic is on the spot)
    2. Group discussion
    I just wanted know what sort of topics are usually brought up in Presentations and group discussion...
    Any help will be appreciated?
    Looking forward to your help

2. DM

DM New commenter

In the group discussion, be sure to make at least a couple of decent contributions but do not try to dominate the conversation (some eager characters will).

3. LiamD

LiamD New commenter

Have you tried posting this in the Student Teachers section of the forum? Their experiences of PGCE interviews will be much more topical.
    It's been a while since I went to mine. All I really remember is that it was much more informal than I had anticipated.

4. Thanks very much. Any ideas on the topics that could come up.....

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I would presume that the topics themselves are largely superficial, on some aspect of maths or another. What would be more interesting is how you handle yourself in a group dynamic. Do you hog the conversation or do you allow others to give their views? Do you listen to what other people say or do you presume that they are saying what you wish to hear?
    Each of these ( and many others ) have direct parallels in teaching.

6. Agree with above
    You may watch a lesson before the discussion and you MAY MAY MAY be asked to talk about aspects of that lesson.
    On the other hand you may get something unconnected.

7. Thanks for all your replies.I appreciate your help. Some more ideas of the topics please

8. For my interview we had to sort cards with facts about learning on them into an order we felt represented importance. To be honest, they could give you absolutely anything to discuss, so I am not sure a list of topics would help. Instead, wider reading of education and maths issues may be helpful. Just as others have said give suggestions and opinions, but try not to take over the discussion

Good luck

9. Many thanks for everyone's advice.
    Can you/anyone give me some useful links(resources) for education issues and maths issues, that would be great?
    Cheers

10. Karvol

Would you like someone to sit the interview for you as well?
    At what stage do you realise that you have to do something yourself rather than try and get everybody else to do things for you?

11. Cheers and sorry. I have done some research on my own but I am not sure it is good enough. Now I really have very less time left

12. Karvol

I think you should have changed back to your other username first!

13. You cannot have read the replies if you go on to ask the question you have.

14. Tell you what...
    Let me know when & where you are being interviewed, send me some ID and I'll go for you....
    ... whichever one of the two of you is no of no concern really .....
    [​IMG]

15. I understand why you may think you need help on this because there is so much competition out there at the moment. However, when I went for my interview I didn't have the distraction of such forums and had to improvise and be myself without anyone preparing or advising me beforehand.
    I would say be yourself and don't think too much about it in advance. They will want to ensure that your character and personality will be suited to the teaching profession. By trying to prepare too much in advance you may come across as static rather than easy going and able to think on your feet.
    You will be fine!
    Good luck

16. http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/apply-for-teacher-training/help-with-your-interview.aspx

Here is the TDA advice

My advice ... when in the discussion decide a persona and stick to it

Seriously though
    They want to know what you think and know

If you want to have some idea ... scan the threads on here and in secondary ... read them, perhaps join in, but stop holding out a begging bowl and expecting it to be filled

17. ...yet when you applied for your first job you displayed every possible emotion in the public domain right here on the forum, asking many cyclical questions about your suitability and route forward.....

18. This is true! [​IMG]

19. Therefore your post perhaps could have been
    "I was helped no end by a forum when I needed advice from more experienced people"
    Moving on......I am really alarmed at the large number who go into such interviews or even start courses with no real understanding or ability to gather and digest basic generic information.
    "Wot will dey ask on ma intaview?"
    "Will I need to pass the numbers test to be a maffs teacher?"
    etc etc
    When I has a sniff at an interview I researched everything I could about the issues in education, the institute I was applying to...heck even the people interviewing me to get an edge...
    This was all pre chat room days and info was hard to source.....
    Seems <u>some</u> want it on a plate and are going in half hearted as there is an economic downturn and people see this as a nice little number.

20. Chazette

Chazette New commenter

Finished my PGCE mathematics training last month - 25% of students on the course dropped out because it was harder than they thought it would be, and of those left 20% chose not to get a job in the sector for the same reason...sometimes the money just isnt worth it!