1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE London?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Sonte, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am looking to do a PGCE in Art and Design, and am currently gaining some experience in a school in Swansea. Ideally I'd like to live in London (I'm not originally from Swansea and the majority of my family and friends are now in the London area).
    My main concern is that I will find teaching a very different experience in London with such a diversity of schools and possibly having tough placements during the PGCE.I have been reading how stressful the PGCE year is anyway and wondering if combined with a move to London I must be mad to even consider it!
    Any advice on PGCE's/teaching in London / moving to do a PGCE would be greatly appreciated,
    Many Thanks

2. Hi,
    I am looking to do a PGCE in Art and Design, and am currently gaining some experience in a school in Swansea. Ideally I'd like to live in London (I'm not originally from Swansea and the majority of my family and friends are now in the London area).
    My main concern is that I will find teaching a very different experience in London with such a diversity of schools and possibly having tough placements during the PGCE.I have been reading how stressful the PGCE year is anyway and wondering if combined with a move to London I must be mad to even consider it!
    Any advice on PGCE's/teaching in London / moving to do a PGCE would be greatly appreciated,
    Many Thanks

3. Try to gain some experience in London then, like you're currently doing, and decide for yourself.

4. I'm currently doing teaching experience in prep for a and d pgce too. I've done a block at a very 'posh' independent school in the country. Hated it! Now doing experience at an all boys school in the suburbs but also 2 days a week at a big inner city london school with more challenging kids. I would say experience as many different schools as you can. London has so many different school cultures that I'm sure you will find many like Swansea. However you may find things like higher security and many languages different. I thought I would like to teach indie school as the facilities are great but the reality for me so far is that state schools kids are far more up my street. Now is an excellent time pre pgce to see as many school cultures as pos. enjoy. X

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

It's generally a good idea to train in the geographic area you wish to work in. In that way you experience the schools and get an opportunity to impress during placements.That said the number of Art & Design PGCE's have been cut back over the years and consequently competition for places increased . In London Goldsmiths has the strong reputation as a Art/Design institution.
    You also need to be aware that getting an NQT post after training-even in London -is very difficult.

6. Many thanks for taking the time to reply that's been really helpful!I suppose every school environment can vary hugely! Where is it your doing your PGCE if you don't mind me asking?

7. Thanks for your reply welshwizard!
    Hmm I realise NQT posts are hard to come by but I've been told if I am prepared to be flexible with location I should be able to find one; I hope this is the case!
    Yes I have been looking at Goldsmiths, I need to get my application in asap as they have cut back on places and it seems very competative to get in.
    Thanks for the advice, :)

8. I did my work experience in a little country school and am now studying at Kingston and have just finishing my first placement in Tooting and I am loving it :) It is great experience! My placement school is 84% EAL so a lot of diversity but it is amazing you are exposed to so many different techniques.
    XX GOOD LUCK XX

9. Amazing! Thanks for the words of encouragement Laura, sounds like your having a great time :) X