1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE? It's not all bad.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Kamikaze-Chemist, Mar 7, 2012.

1. So, I've been having a fairly horrid time back at my main placement the past couple of weeks. Timetable has been a mess, finding staff to talk to about plans has been nigh impossible, and after my first actual teaching days (Monday and Tuesday) I once more felt ready to throw in the towel. Terrible nightmares both nights about classes just running riot, hurting each other and breaking things.
    However.
    Today I had one lesson that did not go so well. My pace was off, the class were noisy and over-excited, and I was feeling generally dreadful about it. But afterwards, the teacher took me aside and talked to me about it. And didn't say anything negative. And made me smile. And made me remember that sometimes, it's not all about the amount of work you cover - but how you cover it, how much the kids enjoy the lesson, and how interesting you make it/they find it. That it's not all about cast-iron progress-checking every 20 minutes. And when I start working in a school and have my own classes, with people not breathing down my neck most of the time, I can run off on interesting points. Obviously not all the time - but if the class are engaged and interested, why not?
    Add to that the fact I found out I'm teaching one of my favourite parts of my subject to an A-level group, and instead of being on the verge of tears in frustration, I'm on the verge of tears in joy.
    I just wanted to post for people who might be scared off a PGCE by looking at this forum. For people who have been struggling, like I have, with schools they don't get on with, kids who seem like animals sometimes, and are generally feeling burned out.
    There will be things on placement that make you happy. Try to smile between them, though I know it's hard sometimes. And think - in the future - the criticisms will be fewer and further between.

2. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

One of those rare moments when I really wish that this site had a 'Like' button!
    Thank you for sharing your great day - hope that you have many more :)

3. Yea ditto that! A real encouragement! Best of luck for the rest of the placements! :)

4. Completely agree with this. I'm doing fine on the course at the moment, which is no mean feat with two children and a husband who works away Mon-Fri. However, I still have a tendency to beat myself up over bad lessons, and forget the other lessons that were great. For Lent I gave up being too harsh with myself. It's really helped. Focus on the mainly good, and the rest will come. Probably something in that for any class, forget the bad learners and focus on the good ones.