1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE is getting me down! Other jobs i can do when i qualify?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lesley1322, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Hello everyone,
    I am a student teacher currently doing the primary PGCE course and I am really struggling to remember why an earth i decided to do this in the first place. Before i started the course i was so excited and was sure that i'd made the right decision to become a teacher and now that i am nearing the end of the course i am unsure if i even want to teach at all. Its not even like i have had a bad eperience, I have had some really good placements. The first was in reception and the second was in year 6 (bit of a difference hey) and i have enjoyed some of the time i have spent in school but i really feel that its not for me. I get up at 6am and then work all night until i go to bed on my lesson planning and masters essay writing. I also spend every night laying awake worrying that i have just not planned enough work for the next day or that i have forgotton something really important. I have had days where i simply just cry for no apparant reason. surely this isnt normal??! I feel like i am becomming unhappier by the day and i am no longer in control of my own life. (this might sound dramatic but its really getting me down)
    Anyway my question to you is, what other jobs can you do after you have completed a PGCE?? - doesn't have to be in education but as this is where my experience lies i guess i have no other choice.
    I would like to feel in control of my life again.

2. Hello everyone,
    I am a student teacher currently doing the primary PGCE course and I am really struggling to remember why an earth i decided to do this in the first place. Before i started the course i was so excited and was sure that i'd made the right decision to become a teacher and now that i am nearing the end of the course i am unsure if i even want to teach at all. Its not even like i have had a bad eperience, I have had some really good placements. The first was in reception and the second was in year 6 (bit of a difference hey) and i have enjoyed some of the time i have spent in school but i really feel that its not for me. I get up at 6am and then work all night until i go to bed on my lesson planning and masters essay writing. I also spend every night laying awake worrying that i have just not planned enough work for the next day or that i have forgotton something really important. I have had days where i simply just cry for no apparant reason. surely this isnt normal??! I feel like i am becomming unhappier by the day and i am no longer in control of my own life. (this might sound dramatic but its really getting me down)
    Anyway my question to you is, what other jobs can you do after you have completed a PGCE?? - doesn't have to be in education but as this is where my experience lies i guess i have no other choice.
    I would like to feel in control of my life again.

3. NNS

NNS New commenter

I have been thinking about the same thing, but mainly because the more I teach, the more I dont like the system. I love the kids, and I like teaching as such, but I just am not so fond of everything that teaching involves. The amount of stress and pressure is not proportionate to salary. Sometimes I have an impression that teachers are treated as dirt- by parents, by governors, by the government, which is mirrored in pupils' attitide.
    Then the endless planning, the pointless essays (honestly, none of the research Im doing for university is helping me with my teaching AT ALL).
    And then, there is no jobs on the market anyways. I dont have any other experience, and I was wondering what else I could do instead of teaching if I dont find anything suitable...

4. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

You could look at Social Services, Family Support worker, Education pcychologist, Youth worker, that kind of thing?

5. Hello lesley1322,

Sorry that you are feeling this way, I, too am completing my PGCE at the moment and can understand how you are feeling.

Can you think of any reasons why this is? You say you haven't had a 'bad' experience, but something must have made you change your mind. Is it the schools you are in? The pupils you are teaching? Your university course part?

I, too, get up at 5.45am, leave at 6.45, hour drive to school, teach everyday, work in my frees, work through break/lunch/after school then hour drive home and work until about 9.30/10pm when I feel that I am going to fall asleep. then I worry, like you- Have I forgotten something? Did I make that resource for the lesson first thing tomorrow?

I had an amazing day the other day- All of my lessons went well, I finally cracked the year 10 boy who sits at the back and does nothing, great praise from my tutor... then when I got home and was telling my other half, I started crying. For no apparent reason- Maybe it was just the build up to this fantastic day that had got on top of me. Anyway, I cried, I felt silly for crying, then I felt better.

Why? Is it because you have no freedom at school in terms of what/how you teach? Do you feel snowed under with work? Do you feel lonely- because you never get to see friends/ family?

Sorry for the long post put I am here with you- I am also ridiculously organised, so I can help with anything in that respect...

Keep Smiling :)

6. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

You could, but most of these jobs ask for a qualification in youth work or social work or psychology.
    It's actually not as easy as you think you get a job in another career simply because you have a PGCE. The jobs hubcap mentions and great options, but they are dwindling under budget cuts and those who DO have the correct qualifications and likely to be considered for the posts before you.
    Don't lose heart. All of the reasons you had for going into teaching still stand. The PGCE year is horribly hard. The workload is enormous; I don't remember having to do the ridiculous amount of essays that current PGCE students have to do, and certainly wasn't forced to do Masters' level essays. There's pressure to make each lesson perfect (from both the school and from yourself - trainees are their own worst enemies in terms of pressure!) and the amount of time it takes to achieve perfection is infinite.
    It DOES get better. In time, you will be able to walk into a room full of kids and command their attention; you will be able to re-use planning from the previous year, or schemes of work already in place; you will have your own classroom and your own resources and will not have to move around like a bag-lady finding a place to work quietly in school.
    That said, teaching is a tough job. You can never just hide behind your desk if you are unwell; the marking is an endless cycle and can never be said to be 'done'; the hours are long and the job can (of you let it) take over your life.
    But the rewards are:
    1) Pleasure and satisfaction when that child finally grasps what you're teaching them;
    2) A competetive salary that increases in increments over the first 6 years;
    3) Working with children every day and becoming very important to them;
    4) August.
    Before you give up, think again about why you came into teaching. If you can make it through to QTS, things will get better. I've been doing it for 7 years now and I don't work the hours you suggest. I COULD. But I don't. Teaching is a job that could fill 24 hours a day 7 days a week if you let it. But it doesn't have to.

7. If you want alternatives, think of areas still related to teaching, such as industry or armed services training officers, private tutoring, working in educational publishing, education officers at museums and tourist/leisure attractions, software development and support, etc. Now all areas of employment are suffering a squeeze, with more redundancies than recruitment, but if you are determined and have a flair, nothing is lost. Also for education officers, people look for actual teaching experience in schools (i.e. having organised school visits yourself) and also there is a lot of competition from existing teachers wanting a break from teaching.