1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Interview

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Coeus2, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Coeus2

Coeus2 New commenter

I have an interview at Edge Hill on the 25th of this month for a place on their Secondary History PGCE Course, but I'm feeling like I am completely unprepared and won't have the time to get myself where I need to be to have a successful interview.

The interview is broken up into three sections;
    - Written task answering; What is the purpose of a historical education? How does it add value to a young person’s education? (20 minutes)
    - Short 2-5 minute presentation on why we should study a historical subject (I've chosen to talk about the Industrial Revolution).
    - Paired Interview

I suppose I'm just after some general advice and some words of comfort! I'm assuming most potential trainees will feel like this. But I'm trying to think of questions I may be asked, trying to get upto date with educational developments, preparing my presentation and writing assignments whilst also trying to juggle my end of year dissertation and other assignments which are due in four weeks. I suppose I feel like I'm sinking at the moment, to the point where I'm worried I will screw up at interview and not get on the course.

Does anybody have any advice/words of wisdom they could offer? I suppose there's a slim chance the interview could get pushed back due to COVID-19, but not sure I really want to rely on that!:(

Anybody else recently had an interview?

2. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

Sounds more like nerves to me. You've got the topic for presentation sorted. they wont "care" what the topic is - its all about engagement, how warm are you as a person. Don't over think it, keep it all very simple. Read around the topic between now and interview. You will smash it.

What would you like to know? How many days at Uni? Topics to be covered? % of trainees that go into employment?

3. Coeus2

Coeus2 New commenter

Thank you for your kind words!

In terms of what I'd like to know, I was more referring to the interview itself and the questions that could be asked/raised. I'm just worried that I'll not be fully prepared and perhaps miss something, but it's most probably my anxiety at play and overthinking it.

These are the ones I've come up with so far, I don't know if this is extensive enough though?
    1. Why do you want to be a teacher?
    2. Why do you want to teach history?
    3. Why do you want to teach at secondary school?
    4. Current issues with the history curriculum?
    5. What can you bring to the PGCE course?
    6. What qualities will you bring to teaching?
    7. What challenges do you anticipate facing as a trainee and what strategies will you employ to overcome them?
    8. Can you explain an instance when you have been offered constructive criticism and how you acted upon it?
    9. Why should pupils learn your subject?
    10. What are the current issues in education today?
    11. Why do you want to study at Edge Hill?
    Roll on the 25th, I feel once I've got this out of the way it will be a huge weight lifted from my shoulders and I'll be able to breathe again :)