1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE interview york st john 2011

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sar89, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Hey
    I wondered if anyone could give me a few interview tips for attending a pgce interview at york st john university. I am really interested in primary ed, inclusion and additional (hate using the word special) educational needs and really really want to get on the course but i am nervous and because it has a good reputation the competition will be high. What questions can i expect to be asked?
    Any advice would be very much appreciated!
    Thanks
    Sarah

2. Hey
    I wondered if anyone could give me a few interview tips for attending a pgce interview at york st john university. I am really interested in primary ed, inclusion and additional (hate using the word special) educational needs and really really want to get on the course but i am nervous and because it has a good reputation the competition will be high. What questions can i expect to be asked?
    Any advice would be very much appreciated!
    Thanks
    Sarah

3. I hope they don't ask you how to use a search engine.

http://www.teacherstalk.co.uk/faq/pgce/interview-questions.php

4. There was no need to be rude Kimchi Pickle. I have known about that site well before I knew about Tes. I was seeking some advice from people who had already had their interview at York st john in the last year or so!! I wanted to know there experiences not just a general list of interview questions half a mile long which are less specific to the ysj course.

Any less sarcastic and more helpful answers would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

5. Hey,
    By now u've probably had your interview! Hope it went well!
    I also have an interview next week! I was wondering if you have any advice or tips of what questions they may ask!?
    Thanks
    Keeley

6. Hey Keeley,
    If you've had your interview then how did it go? If not then let me know if you need any help, I had an interview a week ago. I applied for PGCE upper primary, what about you? I'm so nervous waiting to hear if i got a place or not.
    Hana

7. Hi Keeley,
    Have you had your interview, if so how did it go? If not let me know if you need any help, I had an interview at York St John a week ago. I'm so nervous waiting for the answer now!
    Hana

8. Hey Keeley

Just be confident and inform them why you want to be a teacher and why you would make a good teacher. In the group task make sure you work well together and communicate. You will probably get asked questions individually in the task too so be as confident and give examples as best as you can. Ermmm.... get to know your group task team if u can before the actual task so communication flows better. All the staff at the university interviews are really nice and friendly and I think they made me feel really comfortable at the interview in all the stages although i was nervous i tried not to show it as much. Brush up on your gcse science, maths, english and ICT skills for the tests although ours were multiple choice but still need to revise really to be on the safe side.
    Good luck, I am sure you will do really well! Be punctual to all the tasks as well which i am sure u will be!!
    Hope this helps, Fingers crossed for you!
    Sarah x

9. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

I'm a 2nd year primary education UG at YSJ. I could tell you what the interview process was like for if you'd like.

Shane

10. Hi Sarah,

I have an interview this week for primary interview. I have to take an artlcle to discuss an educational issue and the impact on teaching and learning. I would like to discuss the importance of an inclusive education. I am finding it tircky to get hold of a good punchy short article such as on bbc or Independent. What would you suggest I take in for the interview around the education issue of inclusion and SEN.

Any pointers really appreciated.

11. Hi Jane
    Is it for pgce or gtp primary? There were some good articles on the department for education website and also look at the 2010 lamb report and pick something out of that. Todays issue in the guardian is the spending cuts in the area of SEN, that would be a really good one to discuss and talk about the impact it will have on the child, mainstream children, mainstream teachers (are they really provided with enough training in SEN that the government can afford to make cuts) SEN teachers, Additional support staff? Are there going to be cuts there. Heres the link anyways
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/feb/08/special-needs-spending-cuts
    Maybe make the article creative in your own to engage the panel.
    Let me know how it goes and if it is pgce/gtp or general teaching interview?
    Hope this helps :) Good luck
    Sarah x