1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pgce interview when pregnant

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by nburns13, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Melj16

Melj16 New commenter

Let me shine a positive light for you.

I attended my PGCE interview at 6 months pregnant in the March. I wore clothes that hid it. Although I knew they weren't allowed to discriminate because of the pregnancy, I knew they could give another reason for being unsuccessful and I knew if that happened I would always have in the back of my mind that it was because I was pregnant.

So I was successful in getting my place for the September. I visited a week before my son was born to hand in some documents. By this point it was very clear I was heavily pregnant. I explained that I would manage on the course and I still planned to start in September.

I then received a phone call from the course leader suggesting I should defer until the following year. I was adamant this would not happen. I knew I was pregnant when I applied. I had childcare in place for when I was starting the course. I was told that the course was incredibly intense with very long hours (which ia 100% true) and that I may well struggle.

I started the course in September with a 9 week old baby.

It was intense. It was hard work but I was determined to do it and determined to prove to those running the course that I had made the right decision.

I completed all of my placements with Outstanding grades and I secured myself a job in the April of my training year to commence in the September as an NQT.

What's more, I did the PGCE whilst on maternity leave from my former job meaning I didn't go several months without a salary.

Was it tough?....yes it was
    Am I saying everyone could do It?.....NO! I am a very determined person and many people wouldn't have coped with 3 hours sleep each night (baby woke every half hour until he was 1 year old).....then being at school at 7.30am every morning.....I also had a 5 year old child .....and I breast fed exclusively all of the way through the course.

You have to have a certain level of determination to manage it. If you think you have that, then go for it. If you think for one second that you MIGHT not manage it.....wait and do it once you have had a baby.

You will need your other half to be a pillar of support. It isn't easy but it is achievable.

I now have three children and am going back in September full time. My son is 6 months. I love my job AND being a mum. You can be good at both.

Good luck with conceiving and with what you decide to do. X

Gsr25 likes this.
  2. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

It sounds like a hellish year in your situation but you also sound like an inspiration to many. I think people underestimate just how hard a PGCE is, I couldn't imagine what it would be like with a newborn baby. Fair play to you but I honestly think you are in the minority.

sabrinakat and Gsr25 like this.
  3. Melj16

Melj16 New commenter

I don't think I realised how tough it had been until the end to be honest. I was so tunnel visioned on getting through.....all of my post natal hormones hit me when the course had finished. I was exhausted physically and emotionally. We went abroad for a month to have some recovery time before starting my new job.

I think you are probably right and I am probably in the minority. I just wanted to give an example of someone who has been through exactly what she is thinking of and managed.

The PGCE is probably the most intense studying there is.....but I do think it sets you up for the reality of the job.

My hubby worked away for a month at a time through the PGCE, and still does. In hindsight I think I was crazy hahaha.

4. celago22

You are right, it is very intense. But I do worry that you have set the precedent for the rest of your career now. Maybe you need to make sure that you have time to watch your LOs grow and enjoy them while they are young.

I don't think many people will share your determination. You sailed through your placements and others may not. The emotional and physical strain of completing a PGCE with a newborn baby at home would be too much to handle for some. Also some will not have the luxury of maternity pay during PGCE year.

It is such a roller-coaster of a year and you need to be resilient, able to cope with stress, criticism, the workload and horrible mentors and university tutors.

I really admire you for completing your PGCE in your circumstances.

5. Melj16

Melj16 New commenter

I get so much quality time with my kids.
    I drop them 45 minutes earlier on a morning at breakfast club and collect them an hour later (after school club) - sometimes a bit more than an hour.

I do all of the hobbies on evenings and weekends - swimming, football and scouts.

During the month my hubby is away I do everything but during the month he is home, he does.....school runs, enjoys events that are happening at school, park after school, prepares dinner, housework etc.

Apart from Christmas, we go away on all of the school holidays that Dad is home. My children are very well travelled my priority in life is to make lots of great memories with them.....at home and away.

I sometimes do feel guilty when missing out on things that are happening at their school......but that's the same as any teacher who is a parent right? What other profession gives me 13 weeks off with my kids every year?

I can understand on the face of it why people may assume we don't spend enough time together......but when I explain.....we get plenty of quality time.

I believe we have a unique situation. My kids are happy. We are happy. It works for us.

I gave in a little during these Summer holidays mind...... and have drafted a cleaner in once per week :rolleyes:

sabrinakat and Gsr25 like this.
  6. celago22

Wow! That is crazy! How much school work do you do in the holidays and evenings?

7. Melj16

Melj16 New commenter

It depends on a couple of things as to when I do my work.

When hubby is away, I leave school earlier..... spend time with kids, have dinner etc and do some work when they have gone to bed.

When hubby is home I stay at work later and don't take work home....(sometimes I do take work home just depends what I have got to do).

I work some school holidays and some I don't. It depends. If I know I am going away, I will put more hours in before hand to get everything done. I have holidayed in May half term before and put the hours in before hand to get reports written.....but had I not been going on holiday, I'd have written them during the half term. I have spent the first two weeks solid of this summer break in school as I am in a new class and new year group in September. It's swings and roundabouts I guess.

I try to plan ahead as best as I can and get a balance of work and life.

I do realise this non stop busy life isn't for everyone though. It's just the way I am. I dont sit on an evening and watch tv (unless hubby is home). I go to bed once I have finished my work at around 10pm.

8. emilycolley1

emilycolley1 New commenter

Hi Melj16,

I have been searching for the last week for some advise on this topic! It is really nice to hear a positive angle.

I am also a very determined individual, and have been wanting to train to teach for so long. I want to teach Design and Technology in a secondary setting.

I am a trained clothing/fashion designer and have been working in industry for over 5 years. However, the hours can be up to 11pm at night and over weekends with a lot of travelling and high pressure. Other designers in the team have decided not to have children because of this reason, and the ones that have hardly see them because they have to put them into childcare from 7am -7pm or longer. This is not what I want.

I used to commute 1hr and half each day, each way also, so I am very used to a tough working/lifestyle! However, I can appreciate teacher training is something else, and not easy by any means! Therefore, I have a lot to consider. We have just relocated back to Lincolnshire and my partner is working within the family business and for the last year I have been working freelance which is working great - a much more relaxed way of living!

I am now 4 months pregnant, and am still determined to apply for teacher training with a september start, so I will have a two month old baby, similar to yourself. Thus, I am looking into a part time option for school direct place. There are not many about. The location of the school I am in contact with is over an hours commute each way, though I would be in the school 3 days a week with one day of this at University. This is the only issue for me...the travelling and balance with a young baby.

I do have a great support system and can get childcare to cover 3 days a week... I am just doubting if I don't do it now, when will I? I have seen and heard peoples experiences of the work load, I am just curious what part time is like?

Has anyone else done part time, or is going to?

Can I ask Melj16 what did you find most challenging with a new born, and the course?

Any advise is appreciated!

9. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

How did the interview go?