1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pgce interview when pregnant

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by nburns13, Aug 7, 2018.

1. nburns13

nburns13 New commenter

has anyone gotten onto a PGCE programme whilst pregnant at interview? Hubby and I keen to try for baby but PGCE interview is in February 2019, so I could be anything betwwen 4-6 months pregnant. First time trying so not sure how big I'll be pregnant and if I can hide it... has anyone had any experience of this? I have a great support network so although I know the PGCE year will be insane, I already work crazy hours 6 days a week and prep all day sunday so life with a baby would be busy whether I change careers or not!

2. Grefintec

Grefintec New commenter

I haven’t personally but someone on my course was but they were early enough along to hide it. They ended up doing the first half of the course and then deferred a year to do the second half.

The itt providers have to treat you the same as everyone else and you can’t be discriminated against for being pregnant. If you have a plan for how you would complete training when you go for interview that would probably be a good honest way to start.

In my opinion If you hide it you will not do yourself any favours in the long run as you need to rely on your itt even after you have completed training, and you want them to trust you.

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Confused. How can you have an interview lined up for Feb when the application cycle doesn't open till September/October?

One of my coursemates became pregnant during the PGCE. She gave birth a couple of weeks after it finished. It was hard going for her because her placement school was not impressed by her missing lessons due to hospital appointments, and uni were looked at unfavourably by Ofsted for not getting 100% of trainees into employment (she chose to become a stay at home mum instead).

The PGCE is not just crazy hours, but also stressful and it can be very emotional because it can feel like everyone is criticising and scrutinizing you.

4. nburns13

nburns13 New commenter

I'm planning to have a baby soon, so if I apply in November I'll hopefully be a few weeks pregnant, and therefore a few months pregnant by the interviews which take place in February of next year. I will have the baby by the time the course starts, but will have a bump at interviews and don't know if that will impact on my interviewer's decision.

5. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

I'm no expert but I would not recommend doing a full time PGCE whilst being pregnant. I know you realise how hard the PGCE will be but seriously however hard you think it might be, you need to multiply that by about 100. You could look into doing a part-time PGCE. A PGCE requires full time attendance and you really can't miss more than a few days on placement as you have to have been in school for 120 days for the university to recommend you for QTS.

stickittotheman likes this.
  6. nburns13

nburns13 New commenter

I won't be pregnant on PGCE only at interview. I will have had the baby months before PGCE starts this thread is about whether or not being pregnant at interview is damaging to my chances.

7. celago22

Just read your latest comment... Sorry. Completing a PGCE with a newborn baby at home would also be really difficult. Teaching isn't as flexible as other jobs.

8. celago22

They can't discriminate against you at interview. There is a shortage of people entering teacher training at the moment so as long as you meet the criteria you will be interviewed and if you fulfil their spec then you will be offered a place. You're a paying student, and therefore a potential customer to them.

9. celago22

If you are really concerned then maybe email the admissions tutor and be honest about your situation.

10. celago22

Also confused as to how the Op can have an interview lined up for next year. She could probably still get onto a course for this year but maybe she has chosen to start in 2019 because of the pregnancy.

11. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Getting pregnant may not be as simple as you think. For most people you can't say "I want a baby" then magically get pregnant the very next day, so I'm confused by your constant statements about how pregnant you'll be by February. Plus if you are 4 months pregnant in Feb, then you won't have given birth "months before" the start of the PGCE.

Also, what course is this that only interviews in February? PGCE courses interview on a rolling basis as applications come in.

sabrinakat and stickittotheman like this.
  12. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

you can't know this.

for couples with normal fertility, pregnancy takes an average of 6 months, so if you start trying today, it would be "normal" to get pregant any time between 2 weeks ago and thistime next year, so you can't really "plan" what stage of pregnancy to be at during the interview or when you start.

I echo what others have said though, there is a minimum number of days you MUST be present to pass the PGCE , which gives you a leeway of around 10 days, I think, and you would need more than that off in the normal course of a normal pregnancy, so be aware you might need to split the PGCE between 2 years

13. celago22

On a full-time one year PGCE the leeway is about five days. I definitely think the OP should consider doing a part-time PGCE.

14. celago22

The only other option is to delay having a child until PGCE is done. To me that would be the sensible option.

Gsr25 likes this.
  15. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I don't think delaying having a child is the sensible option if that is the priority in your life and it becomes less easy every year.

Gsr25 likes this.
  16. celago22

I guess we all have different priorities in life and personally I would put my career first. To be honest I think it would be really difficult to have a young baby at home and be in the early stages of a teaching career, it seems 'easier' to have a secure career sorted then think about having a baby. Anyway, I digress, I think the OP should complete her PGCE part-time. I'd be interested to hear her views on that.

History88 and Gsr25 like this.
  17. stickittotheman

stickittotheman New commenter

How do you know the interview will be in February? If you were to apply in October when applications open, your interview could be in November. Equally, your interview could be in March onwards, depending on when you apply and the interview slots that your chosen institution(s) set up.

celago22 likes this.
  18. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I'm not even going to bother commenting on the stress, long hours etc PGCE.
    Babies: pregnancies are not always trouble free, the Duchess of wotsit had to be hospitalized with morning sickness, there are other illnesses and threatened miscarriages which can result in missing work. Babies can be born premature, sickly, unhealthy, have conditions which need medical care. Mothers can get diabetes during pregnancy. Caesareans aren't much fun and take time to recover from. Post-natal depression would not go well with a PGCE - which itself can cause depression. Sleepless nights. etc

celago22 likes this.
  19. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Doing a PGCE with a young baby will be extremely hard work. Easier if partner is taking the lead on the parenting - perhaps you are not planning on breast feeding and partner is going to take shared parental leave? You still get the sleepless nights, though, and your partner is not going to appreciate you coming home from a tiring day at school and sitting down with a pile of marking and an assignment to write, when they were hoping you'd settle the baby and cooke dinner. If your partner is not going to take the lead on the parenting, I think it's madness - there's a reason why we have maternity leave.

I'd be inclined to say that you should get on with trying for a baby, and by all means apply for PGCE as who knows how long it will take, but be ready to put the PGCE on hold if you are successful.

Will you get maternity leave/pay from your current job? You'd be throwing that away if you start something new at this juncture.

Gsr25 and celago22 like this.
  20. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

I agree with this. I put my career on hold because having children was the priority in my life at that point. My children are now older and both in full time school so now is the right time for me.
    There is no way however that I would have contemplated undertaking any ITT while pregnant or with a new born, life was hard enough with that added complication!

sabrinakat and celago22 like this.