1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Interview Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Sally1418, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Sally1418

Sally1418 New commenter

Hi, I have my PGCE inteview tomorrow for secondary school history. I have read and gone through lots of interview questions and I think that I will be ok with this, I have to do a presentation on my approach to motivating pupils to learn, I have structured it like this:

The classrooom - stimulating environment, displaying pupils' work.
    Lesson objectives set out at the start of the lesson.
    Explain relevance of topic to students.
    Wide variety of teaching styles/methods to cater for all pupils.
    Fun/engaging activities.
    Be enthusiasic myself!

Does this sound the right sort of information to include? It has to be between 3 and 4 minutes.
    Also current issues in education, I have been reading about the government's white paper at the moment, the issue of raising tuition fees which may impact upon pupils attitude towards secondary school. Are there any other issues I should be aware of?

Any help or information would be kindly appreciated, I am so nervous, I just want to get it over and done with now!!

2. Sally1418

Sally1418 New commenter

Hi, I have my PGCE inteview tomorrow for secondary school history. I have read and gone through lots of interview questions and I think that I will be ok with this, I have to do a presentation on my approach to motivating pupils to learn, I have structured it like this:

The classrooom - stimulating environment, displaying pupils' work.
    Lesson objectives set out at the start of the lesson.
    Explain relevance of topic to students.
    Wide variety of teaching styles/methods to cater for all pupils.
    Fun/engaging activities.
    Be enthusiasic myself!

Does this sound the right sort of information to include? It has to be between 3 and 4 minutes.
    Also current issues in education, I have been reading about the government's white paper at the moment, the issue of raising tuition fees which may impact upon pupils attitude towards secondary school. Are there any other issues I should be aware of?

Any help or information would be kindly appreciated, I am so nervous, I just want to get it over and done with now!!

3. Firstly, good luck!
    The content of your presentation looks good to me. 3-4 minutes will fly by!
    In terms of current issues in education, I'd leave tuition fees unless they mention it. I'd talk about:
    • proposed changes in teacher training to more "on the job" training, teaching schools etc from the white paper. They may ask you a question about GTP v PGCE referencing this.
    • Proposed new Bacc - is this just really raising the level of GCSE passes to 5?
    • Recent results from PISA showing decline in UK educational scores v rest of world
    • Sports funding - canned by Gove but about to be restated in some form or other
    Hope that helps
    Clive

4. Sally1418

Sally1418 New commenter

Thank you that has really given me some good ideas which I will read up about and definately use if I am asked about them!! Thank you again for your time and help.

5. Hi I have a PGCE inreview with LSBU and they have asked me to look up current educational issues?

6. Hi Sally,
    I was just wondering how your interview went? I have applied for secondary History at Edinburgh but I applied pretty late and I've yet to hear whether or not I've got an interview but you're about the only other person on here who I've found that's applied for the same course as me - most people on this forum seem to be doing primary - so I thought I'd say 'hi'. I realise I've probably applied to a different university from you but I was just wondering if you could tell me how the interview process was for you? I hope it went well and you don't have to wait too long for a decision!
    Anna

7. Hi Clive I have a interview 25 JAN 2011 are these issues you have stated still classied as current and can I use them in my interview? If so you are a big help....x