1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Interview (RE)

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by dellybean, Jan 25, 2011.

1. I have recently been invited to a PGCE interview in Queens University Belfast, and while I obviously know that there will be questions related to my specific subject, I'm not 100% what to expect. I will have to prepare a presentation (5mins) on my subject but apart from that I don't really know what to expect from the interview....... Any tips would be very gratefully accepted!

2. I have recently been invited to a PGCE interview in Queens University Belfast, and while I obviously know that there will be questions related to my specific subject, I'm not 100% what to expect. I will have to prepare a presentation (5mins) on my subject but apart from that I don't really know what to expect from the interview....... Any tips would be very gratefully accepted!

3. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

I went to a seminar recently where we were given a lot of good advice about interviews. The things I remember most are to take a pause after each question - in which you kind of look at the question from above - with two different questions in your mind. First is 'what are the interviewers looking for - the presenter called these 'buying buttons' - so which of their 'buying buttons' can I 'press' in my answer to this question. The second question to consider is ' what are my own special strengths and enthusiasms which I want the people who are interviewing me to know about? - the presenter called these 'selling points' and you think, 'which of my selling points can I convey in my answer.

You can take a card with 4 or 5 buying buttons and selling points noted on it, into the interview with you.
    I have always dreaded interviews and never felt on top of things enough to reflect even for a second on the questions in this kind of way. I think its fantastic advice. At the end of the day the interviewers want to appoint the right people. So you have to convince them that you are right for it.

Other tips included, Don't speak for more than two minutes in your answers - if necessary you can say, 'does that answer the question?' and be on your guard all the time you are in the school (or in your case the University) as they will be watching you. Don't use too much perfume or aftershave - (or have bo) - and remember that first impressions are very important. Firm handshake, simple slightly formal clothes, not too much jewellery, bright smile, enthusiasm, walk tall and act confident...

none of this is rocket science but if I'd known it years ago I would probably be in a very different position today!
    Good luck