1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE interview questions?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Findlotte, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

Not sure if there's a thread for this already, if so point me to it.

Wanted to know what sorts of questions would be asked for a PGCE/SCITT interview?

mpiana24 likes this.
  2. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

I was asked to explain what made me realise I wanted to teach, what my best moment in the classroom was, some feedback on the story and game I did with the kids, what I know about child protection, what qualities make a good teacher and do I have those? Can't think of any more off hand.

Quitoon likes this.
  3. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

I'll update with my questions on Wednesday after my interview.

4. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

Subject-specific questions. My degrees don't mesh up with the National Curriculum so closely as other history graduates, so they were interested as to what on Earth my qualifications would bring to teaching in the British classroom.

I think they were rather more interested in whether I'd read the National Curriculum and exam specs for my subject and could justify it to their satisfaction. I could.

Other stuff that I recall would be the value of your subject, and how your past experience relates to teaching.

division_bell2105 likes this.
  5. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Why do you want to teach?
    An obligatory question about safeguarding
    How would you engage students?
    Something about your subject?
    What skills would you need as a teacher?

6. magicmaiden

magicmaiden New commenter

I was asked the usual why I wanted to teach, what skills did I have that would meet the criteria of a good teacher. I was also asked if I was minister of education in Wales (Welsh uni, obvs!) what would be my priority in regards to policies, I was shown two pictures of Welsh landmarks and asked which would I pick to base a lesson on and why, and also a safeguarding question in relation to Facebook requests from pupils/parents. Felt more like a job offer if I'm honest, and other than the first 2 questions I mentioned, I hadn't prepared an answer and thought off the top of my head.

7. AHAteacher

AHAteacher New commenter

I had a school direct interview yesterday, for this I have to do a writing task, teach a lesson on everyday science for bunch of year 8s, attend a subject interview and another interview by the university. The questions were
    1. Why teaching?
    2. Why chemistry?
    3. Why its known as difficult subject?
    4. Changes in the curriculum?
    5. In an years time what will they see in my classroom?
    6. How will I respond to constructive criticism?
    7.How will I manage the training with my family commitments?
    8. A time when I worked in a group and how?

I had lots of questions but cant remember the rest, the uni interview was a bit intense
    I have been offered a place for this and do have one more interview next week.
    Good luck

8. jkeeping7

jkeeping7 New commenter

I had lots of questions - I am lucky to have plenty of teaching experience to pull upon, and so they really asked me leading questions from my stories. Here are the core one's though...
    • What kind of a learner are you?
    • Give an example of a time you have taken a risk
    • How would you appeal to all types of personalities in a classroom?
    • Subject knowledge (sciences) ;
    1. Chemistry; describe the periodic table
    2. Physics; describe the difference in particles in solids liquids and gases
    3. Biology; how would you creatively describe photosynthesis to a class on a rainy day?
    And many more I can't now recall!
    I also had to talk for 5 minutes about a significant teaching experience. It could also have been about you're idea for an ideal school.

Good luck everyone!

9. Seryph

Seryph New commenter

Primary here, I've had four interviews: one for a SCITT with PGCE and a uni PGCE course in England and two PGDE courses in Scotland. All of the questions I've been asked have been basically the same.
    • Why do you want to teach
    • What makes you suitable to teaching
    • Give an example of when you had to communicate something
    • What is the biggest difficulty facing primary teachers
    • Safeguarding question (only at the SCITT)
    • How would you decorate/like your classroom to look
    • Give an example of when you had to overcome something
    • How do you learn and how can you apply that knowledge to helping children
    There were some others I'm sure, but that was the basic gist.

10. division_bell2105

division_bell2105 New commenter

11. division_bell2105

division_bell2105 New commenter

Hi,
    I will have my history PGCE interview on Thursday.
    Can you remember any questions?