1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Interview Help How do you characterise teaching - as science, art or craft?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by janegubbins, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Please could you help me with any pointers to the the question above. Any key simple points would be appreciated.

My opinion is With regards to the scientific view of teaching that there are so many variables in teaching such as student interaction with each other, the teacher, context of subject, their identification with the subject, their classroom environment etc. that I think that it is difficult to have a definite sciencific approach to teaching.

ANY KEY EXAMPLES TO SUPPORT THIS???

With regards to teachering as an art, I agree with this because need to have a natural ability to adapt your teaching technique to different situations, using your own judgement and using your own imagination and sensitivity in how to engage with children.

ANY KEY EXAMPLES TO SUPPORT THIS??? I can just thinking of transferring your moral values and the schools.

With regards to craft At the same time though there are standard teaching techniques that can only be taught through craft. From the experience of former teachers and mentors.
    Craft - Skill, knowledge, technique

ANY EXAMPLES OF LEARNING FROM SOMEONE ELSES TECHNIQUES?

Thanks

2. Please could you help me with any pointers to the the question above. Any key simple points would be appreciated.

My opinion is With regards to the scientific view of teaching that there are so many variables in teaching such as student interaction with each other, the teacher, context of subject, their identification with the subject, their classroom environment etc. that I think that it is difficult to have a definite sciencific approach to teaching.

ANY KEY EXAMPLES TO SUPPORT THIS???

With regards to teachering as an art, I agree with this because need to have a natural ability to adapt your teaching technique to different situations, using your own judgement and using your own imagination and sensitivity in how to engage with children.

ANY KEY EXAMPLES TO SUPPORT THIS??? I can just thinking of transferring your moral values and the schools.

With regards to craft At the same time though there are standard teaching techniques that can only be taught through craft. From the experience of former teachers and mentors.
    Craft - Skill, knowledge, technique

ANY EXAMPLES OF LEARNING FROM SOMEONE ELSES TECHNIQUES?

Thanks

3. char2505

char2505 New commenter

No real examples for you, but def think you'd be barking up the right tree to say teaching is all three.

4. I would be wary of arguing that it is difficult to have a scientific approach to teaching in your PGCE interview. Yes, teaching is a craft and there are techniques and skills to learn, and yes every teacher brings a certain level of artistry to their work, but it is so important to be able to look back at every lesson and decide what worked and what didn't so that you know what to do next time. That is where the science comes into play. Being able to analyse and spot patterns, and use this to plan for the future.
    Hmm, I think I'm trying to say be careful not to seem like you are discarding the scientific approach as it is really being pushed at the moment as a way to improve teaching and learning.
    Anyway, good luck with your interview!