1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE interview at Manchester University

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by a.blecher, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Hi there!

I have an upcoming PGCE interview for Secondary, German
    & French (MFL), at Manchester University.

I would like to get some information about
    the interview process and the kind of questions I should expect. I'd be
    very happy if you could help me a little as I live abroad and don't know anyone here who
    did PGCE.

Thanks a lot!

2. Hi there!

I have an upcoming PGCE interview for Secondary, German
    & French (MFL), at Manchester University.

I would like to get some information about
    the interview process and the kind of questions I should expect. I'd be
    very happy if you could help me a little as I live abroad and don't know anyone here who
    did PGCE.

Thanks a lot!

3. Hello A.Blecher,
    I had my MFL interview a month ago, it was very relaxed.
    We were about 12 or 13.
    The interviewer first gave explanations about the course, the requirements ect..
    We had to write a piece of reflective writing about why we wanted to be teachers and what a teacher should be like (to test our English).
    We had a test in the target language, nothing hard, to check vocabulary, spelling, grammar and so on.
    We also had a 4 minute presentation to do, teaching something to the other candidates in the target language and then we had an interview one by one.
    Questions were about why I wanted to be a teacher (in French), then questions about differentiation, how to help reluctant pupils enjoy a foreign languages, questions about inclusion and the benefits of pupils with different languages and backgrounds, also which part of your MFL could be really hard to teach according to you.
    I think that you need to reflect a lot on why you want to teach, what you can bring into the profession, your strenghts and you also need to read a lot about the challenges in modern classrooms and what issues pupils and teachers have to face.
    And your subject knowledge needs to be top.

Good luck to you!

PS: My interview was not at Manchester Uni, but I think that generally speaking you need to think about all the things I mentioned.
    I've spent the 3 weeks before my interview religiously reading TES and other Educational papers. Very good for preparation as you need to show that you are aware of issues in education.