1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE in Secondary looking to switch to Primary

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by ehankey, Nov 8, 2018.

1. ehankey

ehankey New commenter

I really enjoy teaching younger pupils (year 7 and 8) and find them much more enthusiastic about my subject and easier to build a relationships with.

So I'm wondering if you can you go into Primary education with a PGCE in Secondary education?

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

A PGCE allows you to teach all subjects and all ages. The difficulty is convincing a Headteacher that you would be better to employ than someone who has been trained for an age range and had experience. If your subject is Maths or English than the transition would be easier than say D.T.

It may be worth looking to teach in a middle school initially so you can teach Yr 5 - 8 and get some experience of teaching primary age children.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Some people do supply or TA work as a way to gain some primary experience before applying for primary posts. It also gives you a chance to find out the downsides of primary - enjoying teaching your subject to year 7 and 8 does not necessarily mean enjoying teaching everything else to year 5 and 6.

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Yes is the simple answer. And quite a few of mine have done it. Go to a supply agency and ask for some supply work in primary and then you will have some experience on your CV. Also, there are 'middle' schools in some counties where they teach years 5-8. They frequently hire secondary trained teachers.

hammie likes this.
  5. Northern_Miss

Northern_Miss New commenter

I trained in Secondary teaching and completed my NQT year, then did other things for 6 years, then decided to make the switch to Primary teaching... but not having taught for years, no one would take a chance on me - also, I wasn't Primary trained!

So I signed myself up for a Primary PGCE course in London to retrain... then in the January (1 term of fees later) I contacted a London supply agency and they found me a long-term KS2 position in 3 days. Long story short, I never completed the course. That post was the start of me working full time for 2 years in London primary schools.

In short, it's possible to make the switch if you live in an area with a teacher shortage and lots of schools - like London - it's not so easy in a rural area, with less schools.

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

It is possible as outlined above, supply certainly works. BUT teaching the pupils is a very small part of the difference between the two phases. Have a good read around the threads under workplace dilemmas for starters. If you want to be treated as a professional who knows what you are doing you are probably better in secondary. The workload is also far more wide ranging in Primary, possibly because it seems easier to bully Primary teachers (who tend to be younger) into doing what they are told.
    Not sure of your age or experience, you may find relationships with older pupils become easier as you gain time in pot at your school.