1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE in Post Compulsory Education - SEPT 2016

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by questionsandanswers, Jul 4, 2016.

1. questionsandanswers

questionsandanswers Occasional commenter

Hi everyone:)

Has anyone previously done a pgce in post compulsory education or planning to? I'm starting mine the September and was wondering if anyone had any portfolio tips or course tips?

If anyone can help in anyway possible please comment below :):)

2. EGraham-Hyde

EGraham-Hyde New commenter

I've done a PGCE which included Sixth Form education and now teach in a Sixth Form instead of secondary. Just make sure that you have a good filing system for your PGCE so that your different standards are easier to evidence - keep all lesson plans, activities etc. Concentrate on nailing a standard at a time and being able to evidence it and by the end of the year you'll be able to do them all in a lesson.

What else would you like tips on? What subject are you doing?

3. questionsandanswers

Thanks for your reply!

So do we not have to meet all the standards in the lesson at the start of placement??If not that's a relief. What type of filing system did you use? I am usually organised but keep hearing from people that even if you think you're organised it can be difficult.

I'm planning on teaching a childcare related subject -the exact course title Isn't given to us until we start..what subject did you teach?

Also, were the lesson observations very difficult to pass first time?..and how did you manage distruptive behaviour like talking and going on phones..

Well done for now having a job:)

4. EGraham-Hyde

Initial Teacher Training is very different from the stories I have heard. I did Schools Direct in Religious Education and taught a mixture of Social Science (I currently teach Sociology and Politics A Level).

You do need to try and meet all the standards, but they are aware that you are training. I focused on one standard at a time in my first placement to ensure I had good evidence for working on them. I then tried to ensure that every standard was being met to a medium/high level in my second placement.

Unless it is different on the course you're embarking on, you don't pass or fail observations. They go through the standards at the end of each observation and give you examples of where you could improve - I was lucky enough to have extremely good mentors.

Disruptive behaviour must always be dealt with in line with the school behavioural policy - they're already used to this and it will be the quickest way to do this. Should the school be weak in this area, I would adopt a '3 tick' policy. Name on the board so they can see they've been warned, then two more ticks before sending them out of the class. Some sixth forms/schools adopt a 'contract' which is basically like report and continued issues lead to that.

I made the mistake of being too 'relatable' at the beginning of the year with one class and then struggled later in the year when it came to things like phones and talking in class. Make sure you're hot on it right away and have an 'amnesty basket' at the front of the classroom. Just get pupils to put their phones in the basket for the remainder of the lesson and get them on the way out.

questionsandanswers likes this.
  5. questionsandanswers

Oh okay, sounds interesting. Mine will be in a college setting. From the info I have researched I thin only my first observation will be developmental and the rest will be pass/fail. I'm scared about the pass/fail ones though like how difficult are they exactly?

Also, I find it hard to talk for ages...like you know how some people can naturally go on and on about a topic, I find it hard to do that. I just explain , but it's a clear explanation if that makes sense..so most of my lessons I think would be like a conversation as a group with the class...is this a problem though?

6. itsCollicott

itsCollicott New commenter

I just finished my post-compulsory PGCE and the main thing I would say is just manage your time as best as possible. It's a lot of hard work - it's manageable, but just try and keep organised.
    Use your coursemates - they are in the same position as you and my coursemates really helped me get through the year.
    Your mentor at your placement is also very valuable - I had a great mentor but some people weren't as lucky. Make connections at the placement with your colleagues and don't be afraid to ask for help - they all had to do the PGCE.
    Regarding the actual teaching - they will go through this with you and you will have chance to develop your own teaching style in placement. Don't worry if you don't feel like a confident teacher right now - you're not supposed to be that's what the course is for, it will give you a chance to develop your confidence.
    Hope this helps, good luck! It's a long year but a great one.

7. questionsandanswers

Thanks for your reply , and I am glad you have had a good experience. :) I've read so many pgce horror stories online so it was nice to see some people have good experiences too!!

Before you applied for your pgce how much experience did you have? I have quiet a lot of primary experience ; special educational settings as well as mainstream. I also have some post 16 and uni experience...like mentoring and delivering employability sessions. I think I should find it OK knowledge wise as my experience is quiet wide with chidren and I want to teach about childhood studies. What subject did you teach?

Also, during placement did your mentor say if you could include evidence or did you just choose what you thought fitted best? And how difficult is it to pass an observation??

Thank you
    x

8. EGraham-Hyde

I wouldn't worry about not being able to go on about your topic for ages. It's entirely appropriate to have tasks, which can be independent with a view to gather information on their own. Equally, you just make sure that you structure the handouts and differentiate them based on the learner so they can access the info.

Golden Rule: Pupils should be more tired at the end of the lesson than you! Make them work for the information.

9. questionsandanswers

Say if I asked the class a question as a group and then theres that awkward scilence what would I do? Also what would I do if only certain students are answering questions?

10. EGraham-Hyde

Your questioning should be targeted anyway; that's another way of showing that you understand the different learners and you would demonstrate differentiation through that. Make sure that you read up on socratic questioning over the summer.

Don't be afraid of silence, I find that I like to allow silence to go on for even up to a min (which feels like forever on the lesson plan) whilst you allow them to answer. Equally, make sure that each table (I sit mine in groups of 4-6pupils) have resources in the middle - that can either be textbooks or resources you have written - allow the pupil to investigate the answer and then ask the rest of the class to write down what they think the answer is without looking. That then empowers the pupil that couldn't answer - they will know the answer and you can get a few others to share what they think it is and then ask the pupil to pick the answer that was given that they felt was most appropriate and 'borrow it as their own'.

There's obv many other techniques too!

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  11. questionsandanswers

Good point about the questioning..but would I just be like "Sarah do you know how this theory is ....??"

12. questionsandanswers

Wouldnt questioning people that have not yet answered be awkward for them. Usually I would split a task into different parts and give each group in the class a difgerent part to answer and then deliver that back to the class...haven't tried that in a college yet though..do you think its a good method?

13. MrsTeacher16

MrsTeacher16 New commenter

I have just completed a post compulsory PGCE in May. One of the hardest and best times of my life.

My advice would be to not to go in with too many preconceptions of what type of lessons, activities and behaviour management strategies you plan to do. Some students in an FE setting are really committed and some can be really challenging. I ended up trying out new techniques in every session.

Try not to worry too much about observations. Your tutors/lecturers and mentors will prepare you for what they are looking for. Passing observations becomes a lot easier with lots of lesson planning and adding details that address the needs of your learners.

I hope this helps and good luck!

cazzmusic1 and bompu like this.
  14. anon8701

anon8701 Star commenter

Excellent advice from the people who have posted so far!

I totally agree with it! @questionsandanswers Please don't worry!

If you're doing the pre-service PGCE Post compulsory (which I did. Only it wasn't called that then), the tutors will expect you to know NOTHING about the theory and practice of teaching but they WILL expect you to be keen, to reflect on what you learn on the course and what you do on the placement. They will then expect you to try it and explain what you've learned from it and from your mistakes (and to exchange ideas from other people), so again, please don't worry about meeting all the standards yet and about things like asking questions to students (btw, in the situation you described, if I got no answers from the class in general, I would ask a particular student to answer the question) until you're some way into the course. I organised myself by having a teaching folder for my placement (I put timetables, lesson plans, examples of student work and my resources in it), one folder for my course work and a general folder for my notes. I also had note books for writing my notes in.

I loved my PGCE course and learned a lot from it!

Hope this answer helps and enjoy your course!

PS. Feel free to keep posting questions as you have them! :)

PPS. Read some A-Level Psychology and Sociology textbooks if you have any difficulties in understanding the theory learned.

15. gemmahall07

gemmahall07 New commenter

These are all really helpful comments. I'm also starting my post compulsory PGCE in September and I'm very nervous and these comments give me some idea of what to expect.

questionsandanswers and bompu like this.
  16. questionsandanswers

Hey hanks for your reply what subject do you teach?

17. questionsandanswers

What uni you going to? :) I'm starting at Wolverhampton uni