1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE in MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by laurajane1980, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hi I am changing career and have applied for a PGCE in secondary French. Although my degree had some French content, it does not fulfill most entry requirements. However, I do have a property in France and my language skills are good but I have been unsuccessful at Newman. I was offered primary french but it is not what I want to do. I scored just below half in the French written and oral test and got full marks in the literacy and numeracy tests. I am wondering whether I have a chance at all! My next options are Keele, Wolverhampton then the Edge Hill flexible route. Can anyone provide me with an idea of what to expect at interview at these universities as I found Newman very intense and any suggestions on universities that make allowances to boost subject knowledge whilst completing the PGCE. Thanks in advance!

2. Hi I am changing career and have applied for a PGCE in secondary French. Although my degree had some French content, it does not fulfill most entry requirements. However, I do have a property in France and my language skills are good but I have been unsuccessful at Newman. I was offered primary french but it is not what I want to do. I scored just below half in the French written and oral test and got full marks in the literacy and numeracy tests. I am wondering whether I have a chance at all! My next options are Keele, Wolverhampton then the Edge Hill flexible route. Can anyone provide me with an idea of what to expect at interview at these universities as I found Newman very intense and any suggestions on universities that make allowances to boost subject knowledge whilst completing the PGCE. Thanks in advance!

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

Have you looked at Reading? They had a "conversion year"

4. I should have said I have children so need so stay in the Midlands x thank you though x

5. Hi Laurajane, I've just had a successful interview for the Edge Hill flex course. It was a very friendly day and there was only a small group of applicants. The interview day consisted of several elements - we had to write a couple of essays, one in English and one in the main language, do a marking exercise, a group discussion on a topic related to secondary education, followed by individual interviews with presentations in the main foreign language (not the interviews, just the presentations). It all sounded much scarier in the interview letter than it was.[​IMG] . Everyone was really friendly and they tried hard to put us at ease.
    You do have to be able to offer at least two languages to get a place with Edge Hill, I think the first one has to be of a very high standard - I'm a native speaker, the other applicants were British but had all lived and worked in the respective countries. If you are offered a place you can do an enhancement course, I will do one in my second language which is currently at A-level standard.
    Hope this helps and good luck!

6. Excuse me for being blunt but are you sure you have chosen the right career, if you are not scoring half marks on the test. Would you be happy with well-meaning but poorly qualified teachers in front of your own children?

7. What about Warwick Uni. Fab MFL PGCE and only 10 mins drive ffrom B'ham Airport
    You could also try Crewe & Alsager - just off j16 of M6. Again, a good course

8. Hi Laura,
    Just practically - thinking after the PGCE - as one who is still looking for a NQT job (since July 2010) for French, they aren't as easy to come by, especially when you're tied to an area - my degree was half French and half History, if there's a candidate for a job with one or two languages at degree level, it'll go to them.
    There used to be a top-up course you could do - ask the places you've applied for if they can make that a condition of your offer.
    Good luck :D