1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE i and eventually completing NQT and gaining QTS back in the UK

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by the hippo, Jun 28, 2011.

1. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

My advice would be not to bother going back to the UK. There aren't any jobs anyway, so what's the point?

2. Hello, my wife is in the same position she started teaching internationally before completing her QTS year, she has been assured that she can do it at any time in the future, should she wish!

3. Well, if I were you, I would take the full details of the person who gave you that assurance, for future reference.
    If your wife did a standard PGCE in the UK, then this may well be a possibility in the future. With PGCEi, I seriously doubt it.
    And...remember that each year will bring freshly qualified people with brand new PGCEs for your wife to compete with for a teaching position.

On the whole, I'm in agreement with the Hippo-stay abroad!

4. ARGH - this is a personal bug bear I admit but you get your QTS (qualified Teacher Status) on completion of your PGCE - the NQT (Newly Qualified Teacher) year has nothing to do with getting QTS or not - if you complete successfully your course, you are qualified to teach. The NQT year is to enable you to continue to teach in a state school in the UK - you are still a qualified teacher if you fail it or never do it.
    sorry, rant over. (and admit I don't know if the iPGCE comes with QTS or not, as I know some ITT courses don't actually give QTS, but this was about PGCE in general :) ).

5. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Hi happypixxie sorry you are not correct!. Actually a PGCE is a standalone qualification that DOES not confer QTS. What British PGCEs include is the portfolio of evidence to submit with a recommendation for QTS. You also have to pass the skills tests hence the possibility of passing a PGCE and not getting QTS (a few can't pass the skills tests). Also it has been known for someone to go for a masters level PGCE, fail the masters bit, hence fail the PGCE but get QTS. That happens with unis that demanded a choice. Most allow joint submission so a non masters PGCE could be got instead.

The international "PGCE"s don't come with recommendation for QTS as they don't have UK teaching practice. Therefore anyone wanting QTS has to apt like a gtp/OTT via a school based program. I do think some lying toerag salesman say you can get QTS but don't believe that tripe.

6. djwill

djwill New commenter

Both of these overseas PGCE courses have been tried by teachers at our school. The Sunderland one is far more rigorous and involves a higher workload, but does seem thorough and well-organised. I didn't know the person who tried the Nottingham one, so can't compare them in more detail. Sorry.
    Neither will give QTS, as you have to have done your teaching practice in a state school in England or Wales to be awarded this - again, the Sunderland course was very explicit about this. If you can find a school that is willing to employ you (and, this may be a big "if", as noted previously), you can get credit for the theory modules from the PGCE course and may only have to do the teaching practice to gain the QTS. This was done through the Open University, if I remember correctly.
    However, to be fair, the overseas PGCE isn't designed, or marketed, for this purpose. It seems to be aimed at people who are teaching overseas and intend to keep on doing so. Presumably so that work visas etc can be granted without any questions being raised over lack of a "teaching qualification."

7. It was the dfe who gave my wife the assurance, what they actually said was that the PGCSE does not have a shelf life and that at any point in the future she could return to the UK and continue her QTS year.
    However I am in total agreement with what you are saying, one of the many reasons that we decided to work internationally for was the fact that my wife, as a newly qualified but more mature teacher was having great difficulty obtaining a position.
    I also agree with Hippo, having now tasted the international life, and this is our sixth year there is no way we would ever want to return to the UK.