1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Help - Subject Specific Testing

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by PAnand, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Hi guys,
    I forgot to write on my previous post. I have a degree in English Language and Linguistics with Communication. In my guidance notes preparing for my PGCE interview at Portsmouth it states that after my individual interview I will be gven Subject Specfic Testing (where applicable). As I am not so strong on the literature side of English,how can I prepare for this? Will I be testing on random books on the spot!? Any help would be great

2. I doubt you are going to be tested on individual texts, however there are likely to be questions about elements of the curriculum. For instance, do you think Shakespeare should be taught in schools? Who is your favourite poet? It will help if you've looked at the National curriculum and got an idea of your strengths and weaknesses as it is part of the course to re-assess your skills. It might also be worth having a look at the GCSE specifications and doing some reading offic ensure you've got a range of texts to write down if you have to do a subject audit.

I've previously helped with PGCE interviews and we often ask candidates to complete a piece of writing or comprehension just to get an idea of literacy but that is a requirement for all courses at the university - most English candidates find it easy.

3. jaimexuk

jaimexuk New commenter

Hi,
    For my PGCE English interview last year (not at Portsmouth) we had to sit a subject knowledge audit test. We had to identify word classes in a passage, identify subordinate clauses in sentences, rank poets by the dates they were alive, list a number of Shakespeare plays, fiction from another culture and books written specifically for children. There were other grammar tasks too, but I can't remember what they were.

They seemed to be based on the Secondary English Teacher Audit book http://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Secondary-Teachers-Self-Study-Guides/dp/1858053536/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334245005&sr=8-2 which we had to buy in September and use it to show that we were improving our subject knowledge throughout the year.