1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE/GTP Application Form - Job section?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Teacher_Jen, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Just wondering what I will be putting here?
    Will it have to be relevant to teaching? I have only ever done one lot of work for a school based institution and that was voluntary work. I did some other a long long time ago but I was just 16 then so I don't think it counts.
    Since uni I have been working in retail and waitressing to make ends meet. I also freelance write in my spare time too.
    I am just about to start some more volunatry work in schools but this isn't starting until october/november time, maybe later.
    Should I just say about the voluntary school based work I did or mention my retail aswell?
    Sorry for all the questions guys!

2. I would definately mention the retail stuff in a "worked effectively as part of a team" "had to work to deadlines" etc style.
    There are so many skills that you learnt during these jobs, so it is actually very valuable. You don't need to list things like "Filled shelves and worked the tills", just focus on the transferrable skills.
    I had very little Primary experience when I applied so in the work experience box I also put that I had further work experience arranged.
    E.g. XYZ School - work experience arranged for Years 3-4 in December 2011.
    I don't know if that's standard or ok, but I felt I needed to show that I was keen and was making a concerted effort.
    Best of luck!