1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE German with qualifications in Media Studies

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by chemotax, May 2, 2011.

1. Hi Everyone,
    I currently doing a PGCE in German and I have media qualifications from Uni. I'm a native German speaker which is why I was able to do the MFL PGCE.
    I've seen a media job come up on this site that is pretty much my dream job. The thing is that I have never taught Media Studies, even though I have a Masters in Media Practice.
    I'm thinking about applying to this job but have two queries really.
    1) Would they consider me having never taught it?
    2) My application letter is aimed at language jobs. When I write my new application letter, what are the essentials that I need to include in this to get me through to interview?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

2. Hi Everyone,
    I currently doing a PGCE in German and I have media qualifications from Uni. I'm a native German speaker which is why I was able to do the MFL PGCE.
    I've seen a media job come up on this site that is pretty much my dream job. The thing is that I have never taught Media Studies, even though I have a Masters in Media Practice.
    I'm thinking about applying to this job but have two queries really.
    1) Would they consider me having never taught it?
    2) My application letter is aimed at language jobs. When I write my new application letter, what are the essentials that I need to include in this to get me through to interview?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

3. Clarerees

Clarerees New commenter

The basic answer is yes, though it depends on the school and your competition. I am a Head of Media, but have no Media qualifications and this is not particularly unusual. I would suspect that your Media Masters would outweigh your lack of teaching experience, unless the other people being interviewed had loads of experience.
    I would not be afraid to actually put in your application letter that it was your dream job- this would be nice for a headteacher to read! However, if you are applying to a state school, it is unusual for you to have to write an application letter. I general ensure that all of the points in my application address the requirements in the 'person specification' for the job. Are you sure this isn't the case?

4. backtoback

backtoback New commenter

Oddly enough, my PGCE is in German and I am HOD Media Studies now. I didn't enter my school as this though, I volunteered to teach Media after my first year as I had had a little experience with the Music Industry at the time.
    I think at the end of the day it will come down to your subject knowledge, as preparing lessons for Media and German are world's apart!! Could you not work as a German teacher and display an interest in Media as a starting point?