1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Geography to Outdoor education (either PGCE or GTP)

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by magarius, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Hi guys in need of some help here.
    I started a PGCE course back in 2009, however took a leave of abscence due to professional and personal circumstances beyond my control at the time.
    I returned to the course in 2011 after eighteen months away which were approved by the university due to the DSA scandal of 2009/10 (I am dyslexic). However, the pressure of going over old ground with the course and virtually being on my own to face it (communte was the Wirral to Shrewsbury) began to take its toll as the placement wore on.
    To cut a long story short the school recommended me to withdraw from the course with the placement being counted as having been failed. However, they noted my passion for Outdoor Education and suggested given time this might be a route into education.
    Given that the course was not fully completed would there be any issues with regard to either PGCE or GTP in Outdoor education.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Hi guys in need of some help here.
    I started a PGCE course back in 2009, however took a leave of abscence due to professional and personal circumstances beyond my control at the time.
    I returned to the course in 2011 after eighteen months away which were approved by the university due to the DSA scandal of 2009/10 (I am dyslexic). However, the pressure of going over old ground with the course and virtually being on my own to face it (communte was the Wirral to Shrewsbury) began to take its toll as the placement wore on.
    To cut a long story short the school recommended me to withdraw from the course with the placement being counted as having been failed. However, they noted my passion for Outdoor Education and suggested given time this might be a route into education.
    Given that the course was not fully completed would there be any issues with regard to either PGCE or GTP in Outdoor education.
    Thanks for your help.

3. Hi
    I'm pursuing a career in primary teaching and I'm soon to complete a degree is adventure education. I have had a year out as part of the course to take part in working in the industry. I chose to spend my year in a primary school as well as take on my level 3 forest schools training.
    I don't believe there are many PGCEs in outdoor ed, possibly Bangor and some Scottish unis offer itw but I may be wrong. It may be worth looking into that, I'd suggest taking part in some forest schools sessions and possibly some training so thAt you are able to lead sessions at school.this is where I feel that OAA and LotC is going in primary schools.