1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pgce funding

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by nulafutter, Nov 12, 2010.

1. I am familiar with 9000 pound bursary for Sciences, course fees of c3200 pounds and access to a Student Loan.
    But is there other funding people get (I don't mean special University funding/additional bursaries).
    And if you have large savings does this mean you can't get that money. I remember something about savings > 16,000 meant you can't get Housing / Other benefits in the past.
    Thanks. I am sure this info is somewhere on the internet, but if someone in similar position currently on a PGCE knows, it will be appreciated.

2. I am familiar with 9000 pound bursary for Sciences, course fees of c3200 pounds and access to a Student Loan.
    But is there other funding people get (I don't mean special University funding/additional bursaries).
    And if you have large savings does this mean you can't get that money. I remember something about savings > 16,000 meant you can't get Housing / Other benefits in the past.
    Thanks. I am sure this info is somewhere on the internet, but if someone in similar position currently on a PGCE knows, it will be appreciated.

3. Most people can get a maintenance grant from Student Finance worth the maximum of £2906 (for household income up to £25,000). No capital or assets are taken into account for any of the financial support, nor for any capital gains.
    We have no information of what the support package will be for 2011/12, which the government is yet to announce, together with allocations of places and indeed the whole future of initial teacher training.

4. DT9

DT9 New commenter

If you have a partner or children then (currently) the Adult Dependent's Grant (£2642) and Parents Learning Allowance (£1508) may be available to you. But as Alec says, the funding could all change.

5. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

It looks like that most student teachers will have to save up some cash first, scrounge off parents or sell a kidney to survive. Yet another profession becomes a middle class enclave! Or for married people with a good earning partner? But I'm betting that this government wants to get rid of pgces as they hate education academics as lefty revolutionaries. And there are too many student teachers unfortunately at the moment. You might be better off training in a few years time when the economy has improved (hopefully we are not entering a depression but uk plc is rather poorly) and when supply and demand are better balanced. Teacher training is rather cyclical and this is the worst time to train. If you have a job now maybe best to keep it?

6. josiejosie

josiejosie New commenter

I agree it's not a great time to train, especially if you have a secure job - but what about in the coming years when the fees are tripled? Once they've gone up at first there's nothing to say they won't increase in later years - just adding to a mountain of debt.
    How long do people think the coalition's educational changes will stay in place? I'd bet it's going to be 5-7 years that they continue to meddle with ITT and HE. Personally I'd rather fight through it than give up on something I want to do, potentially for a decade of my life. That said, I'm not currently working in education so if I was my outlook may be different.