1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Funding/Bursary

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Nikki786, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Nikki786

Nikki786 New commenter

Hey people,
    I am a little confused in regards to the PGCE funding/ Bursary. I heard from a friend that all applicants who apply for masters or a PGCE are eligable to this funding apparantly which is different to the usual Student Finance. Is this true ? If so then how do I apply for it ? Also is the same type of funding/Bursary which is based on what you got for ur degree? Or is that something else?
    Hope someone is able to help me out.

2. sparkleshine

sparkleshine New commenter

The bursary you're talking about is the Teaching Agency bursary for teacher training. What you get (if anything) is dependent on the class of degree you hold and what your PGCE subject will be. All the different funding levels are here - anything from £5000 all the way up to £20,000 http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/funding/training-in-england/postgraduate-funding.aspx

You don't apply for it, it's just administered and paid by your university while you're on the course (often in monthly instalments). For full-time postgraduate initial teacher training you're also eligible for full student finance subject to their standard eligibility criteria, i.e. tuition fee loan, maintenance loan and any supplementary grants if applicable. Hope that helps!

3. Nikki786

Nikki786 New commenter

Thank you so much :)