1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE final grade

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Janna5, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Hello everyone,
    I have a question.
    When you finish your PGCE you pass with a grade I believe: Satisfactory-Good- Outstanding.
    Who gives the grade? Your Mentor or your Uni Tutor?
    Thank you.

2. Malaguena

Malaguena New commenter

Unless things have changed since I did mine 10 years ago - I wasn't aware you got an "overall" grade for your PGCE. The grade is not mentioned on your certificate if you do. In the final report from your last placement school, each area of your progress is given a grade and then one overall grade. Your mentor will write this final report, not your uni tutor.

3. Hi,
    It is pass or fail.
    Cheers
    Jaime

4. There are normally two exit qualifications for the PGCE itself the Professional Graduate Certificate in Education which is atFinal year undergraduate level and the Post Graduate Certificate in Education which is at masters level and will normally have credits attached to it some, or all of which could be used to progress on to a full masters degree.
    This is the academic component of your qualification, the other component is the professional bit which is the recommendation that you be granted QTS. Some providers will grade this aspect, but not all do. The grades if they are applied may be shared with the trainee, but do not have to be published or used, e.g. in references. Clearly if the grades are very good then tutors may well wish to let prospective employers know.
    You are at liberty to share any informnation including grades that you may have been given during training. Do remember though that the grades are training grades not necessarily the same as the grading used by OFSTED.
    Often when grades are given it will be a combination of mentor and tutor information that results in a grade, but again different providers may have different working practices.
    The Sage

5. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Honestly, no one cares about your grade (except you).

All prospective employers are interested in is the tick-box "QTS". After that, anything they know about you personally (i.e. someone who had a good placement in a particular school is obviously at an advantage in applying to that school) will be important.

Where your first degree came from (i.e. Russell Group or not) and class of degree is of much more interest - though your performance in your interview lesson and in the interview itself is more important.

6. Thank you all!