1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE failed 30 days from the end. What career options are aviable to me please?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by marthur2, Nov 7, 2015.

1. marthur2

marthur2 New commenter

PGCE failed 30 days from the end. What career options are aviable to me please?

I have had to leave my PGCE course yesterday. I had a very successful first placement doing extremely well at the school. I was then offered the chance to come back as supply at the end of the course.
    However my second placement was a nightmare. The mentor was very hostile and the teaching assistant did not speak to me. Having battled through for 6 weeks I had to leave for constantly being marked down all the time for things that were not even targets. My confidence was shattered. I have just done 4 weeks at another school and got excellent for my effort but failed as my classroom management was below the standard required. I could not get back to the level from my first placement.

I need to know please and would be grateful what career options are available to me having ended up just 30 days short of completing the course.

Kind Regards

2. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I'm not the best person to give a reply but you haven't had one so I will do my best.

First is, I am very sorry that you have done so much only to find it has turned to dust. You are not alone in this and there is a serious problem within education of this sort of thing happening all too often.

Second is you need to clarify, have you been failed by your course provider or have you stopped the course short of this. I don't think there is anything to stop you from finding another provider somewhere else and starting again. Problem here will be funding, you will have to pay and may not get any help.

The other way that may be possible is to train directly in a school. You will get paid for this at a reduced rate and then, when you qualify, at the NQT rate.

As I say, you are not alone in this and if you use the search facility of the forum you will probably come across posts and resources which can help you further.

I have to say that given the toxic atmosphere in many schools at the moment, it may be as well just to cut and run for some other career. The choice is your but try to give yourself some time to consider.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide.

midnight_angel likes this.
  3. OBakaSama

OBakaSama Occasional commenter

Sorry to hear that. Being in a similar situation myself, I would have you ask yourself this: how much do you want to remain in the sector? Do you want to 'try again'?

Having a PGCE end in any manner when you're so close is devastating, and I took a few weeks off, so to speak, in order to just relax before even thinking about what I wanted to do. If you can afford to, I suggest taking a short break just to let your body and mind refresh from the stress of teaching and the ending of your course; then start seeking advice.

Your university should have a careers centre, so people there could also give you advice. The other thing is what degree do you have, and can that be used to help you find an alternative career?

May you find luck in your pursuits.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am very sorry to hear your sad situation. You must be so disappointed at this sad ending.

But is it an ending?

I am not up to date on the ins and outs of NQT induction years, so I am going to Phone-A-Friend here and ask some others to come and advise you tomorrow when they get back to work.

But if meanwhile you would like to start considering other possibilities, have a look at this:

Possible other careers

Best wishes for strength in this difficult moment.

5. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

I'd go with the advice above - first check your status on your course, and whether you've actually been failed or classed as withdrawn, or whether there is any way to repeat the placement in full. Then talk to the university careers team. Establish exactly what your situation is before you start to plan the next move.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

So sad. I know this is a case of shutting the barn door but did you raise issues about the second placement with your university placement mentor or did you just soldier on? My thinking is that if you did raise issues but these were unresolved (possibly due to the university not wanting to upset the placement school) then you might have grounds to extend the PGCE and re-do a placement - you could be pro-active with this and find your own placement to make things a little easier.

midnight_angel likes this.
  7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I see that my Phone-A-Friend worked and John came!

8. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Really sad ! I remember my PGCE days now.
    During my first placement,I had this hostile teacher who could not tolerate yr 7 students running to me after my first lesson and saying it was a great lesson. She tried every bit to put my confidence down. After various effort, she managed in the end by shouting at me in the staffroom with no possible reason. Fortunately my mentor was a great person and I passed with ‘Good'. I survived because I had worked earlier.
    I went back to Uni and requested my Professor to avoid the teacher if not the school. Sadly, they did not pay heed to my words. They sent two students again. One of them got the same sadist person’s class. Poor student suffered tremendously under this teacher. She marked her fail. Thankfully, my lecturer recalled what I had told him and came to my school (SE2) to discuss. I suggested to replace the teacher with another brilliant one. Only two weeks were left and this student passed. :) In his own words...student flourished under her.
    Hope your Uni can help. May be extend your placement and you pass.
    All the best