1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE English @ IOE?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by shoegal44, Sep 2, 2011.

1. shoegal44

shoegal44 New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm starting the English PGCE at the IOE on the 12th Septmber, and I was wondering if any fellow students know any more details?! I haven't received a timetable yet, I haven't received anything! I have no idea what time to be there or in what room. I was thinking that they may email us the information, but I am worried incase I somehow missed it?!
    Thanks

2. shoegal44

shoegal44 New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm starting the English PGCE at the IOE on the 12th Septmber, and I was wondering if any fellow students know any more details?! I haven't received a timetable yet, I haven't received anything! I have no idea what time to be there or in what room. I was thinking that they may email us the information, but I am worried incase I somehow missed it?!
    Thanks

3. Hi shoegal
    Think i spoke to you on here back when everyone was waiting to hear if they had been given a place, but my username was my actual name so I have since changed it!
    Am starting next Monday too, but for social sciences. We have been sent a timetable and student handbook via our google sites portal that our course leader set up and emailed us a link too. My timetable says for Monday - 9.30-11 Logan Hall: Welcome and introduction to the secondary PGCE. Am assuming that that is for everyone as it doesnt sound subject specific? Then from 1.30 until 3.30 it is timetables for subject studies, but my course leader emailed saying see you at 11.15 in a room so not sure how accurate the timetable I have even is!
    Don't panic about not being sent anything because it's different for each course. I know there is a lot of English students so may take more time to organise. My advice would be to email either admissions or your course leader, just to find out at least what you are doing on the first day!
    Did you go to the enrollment last week? Had any of your new coursemates got any info?
    Hope that helps :)

4. shoegal44

shoegal44 New commenter

Hi Sparkle!
    I've just emailed admissions; hopefully I'll hear something back from them today. I just feel like I'm in limbo at the moment, excited to start, but no idea what's going on!
    I think you're right in assuming the 9.30 start will be for everyone, at least after that I might have some idea about the course!
    Thanks, and good luck for Monday!

5. Hi Shoegal,

I'm doing the Secondary English PGCE too. I ended up having to go into the IoE twice last week due to a mistake I'd made with my student loans form. It was only on the second occasion that I saw a group of fellow enrolling students gathered around a noticeboard by the cafe and saw that there was a timetable pinned up. I noted everything down, but I did hear someone say that the timetable might change...anyway, at 9.30 on Monday it's a Keynote Lecture, so that's for everyone. We have Subject Studies in the afternoon at 1.30-3.30.
    I *think* we're in Cohort B, but I've now thrown away the piece of paper I wrote that on- but this is what I copied into my diary from the noticeboard:
    tues- free
    weds-10-1.30 Keynote lecture, Teaching in London Schools; 12.30-1.30 Keynote Lecture on the Olympics & Teaching

thurs- free
    Fri- 12.-1.30 Keynote Lecture on Teachers' Legal Responsibilities; 2pm subject studies; 3.30-4.30 Keynote Lecture on Voice Care

If you hear back from admissions let me know what they say, as I'm not feeling too confident that this won't change... Good luck for the Primary School Experience.

6. Hey all!,
    Finally, after useless searching all over student room, I have found students who are on the English PGCE at IoE! I went for enrollment on Thursday 1st September, but since then haven't heard from them. The online email service hasn't been updated so I thought its best just to wait.
    Also, any idea on what we have to bring? I was unable to make it to the induction day that took place earlier on in the summer, so am now clueless?

7. shoegal44

shoegal44 New commenter

No reply today from admissions, hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow; I will post as soon as I'm any the wiser! I was also wondering about what we need to bring with us; I was at the welcome day but they didn't really tell us what to bring! Fingers crossed for some info soon!

8. I saw the timetable by the coffee shop on level 4 too- it's a bit sketchy though- Absolutely everyone has to turn up for 'Keynote Lectures' (of which there are 7). I don't think we'll have any 'free' days. I think the gaps on the timetable will be for subject/professional studies lectures depending on our 'cohort'. Under the list of how the subjects are divided into cohorts A and B it said that cohort A will primarily have lectures on Mondays and cohort B on Fridays. I don't know however, if this refers to the next three weeks or when we are expected to come in for lectures for the rest of the year. I'm doing MFL and I'm in cohort A, I remember Music is cohort B, but otherwise I can't remember for English, sorry.
    I think it's just a case of turning up next Monday at 9.30 with your diary, some pens and a note pad, and being ready for a lot of work!!
    Best of luck, see you there! [​IMG]

9. shoegal44

shoegal44 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    Just thought I'd let you know that I just logged on to the IOE as a student, and the timetable is available on Blackboard. It's not 100% complete, but at least it gives us some sort of idea! The handbook is also available!

10. Thanks for this, I have been waiting to hear something for them for a while... I can't remember which cohort English is either but the timetables look pretty much the same for the induction week anyway.