1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE English interview with presentation

Discussion in 'English' started by Eloisewl55, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I have my PGCE English with media/drama interview at London Met this Thurs.
    I have to do a 5 min presentation on a book I would like to teach:

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

"You
    should prepare a 5 minute presentation on a text you would like to teach. You
    should explain the key factors that led you to choose the text, explain why you
    think it is suitable for a particular year group, describe the links you would
    develop to national curriculum requirements and discuss some possible teaching
    strategies."
    I would just like some tips of how to do the presentation...I'm going to take the book in for them to see but I can't think of any other ways to make it more interesting than me reciting the answers to the points they want me to discuss. I have seen on forums that they judge how you would teach from your presentation but I don't think a presentation is an accurate way to judge because teaching is so different than the teacher talking for 5 mins straight [​IMG]
    Also does anyone have any experience of this particular uni's interview process, will we do the presentation in front of the other candidates or just the tutors?
    Thanks in advance for any help and tips.

2. Hi,
    I have my PGCE English with media/drama interview at London Met this Thurs.
    I have to do a 5 min presentation on a book I would like to teach:

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

"You
    should prepare a 5 minute presentation on a text you would like to teach. You
    should explain the key factors that led you to choose the text, explain why you
    think it is suitable for a particular year group, describe the links you would
    develop to national curriculum requirements and discuss some possible teaching
    strategies."
    I would just like some tips of how to do the presentation...I'm going to take the book in for them to see but I can't think of any other ways to make it more interesting than me reciting the answers to the points they want me to discuss. I have seen on forums that they judge how you would teach from your presentation but I don't think a presentation is an accurate way to judge because teaching is so different than the teacher talking for 5 mins straight [​IMG]
    Also does anyone have any experience of this particular uni's interview process, will we do the presentation in front of the other candidates or just the tutors?
    Thanks in advance for any help and tips.

3. sweetie1

sweetie1 New commenter

I've taken part in the interview process for GTPs and for NQTs at our school and we have used a similar process, although we specify this is for KS3 (exam boards, as I'm sure you're aware, constrain us regarding the texts we teach!).
    I'd suggest that you familiarise yourself with the current AFs for KS3, paying lip service to APP. Explain how you would use your chosen text as a springboard to develop student ability on all the AFs (include writing and speaking listening here, as well as reading). I think you should give a few examples of the type of activities you would incorporate into a SOW, if this text was to be used. There are loads of ideas here on TES and on websites such as The Hertfordshire Grid for Learning and Teachit.
    Obviously teaching isn't all about standing at the front and talking, but this is a factor of every lesson. They will look at your body language, how you speak/your language choices and at your general rapport with your "audience".
    Try to be creative, but be realistic. The interviewing panel know you are not a qualified teacher!
    Good luck! Smile and be confident!