1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE EARLY YEARS OR PRIMARY TO BE SEN TEACHER

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by mhayes16, Feb 17, 2012.

1. I want to be a SEN specializing with ASD. I know both routes can lead QTS. Does it matter which PGCE I get to work in this capacity? Need to know as applying now. Thank you.

2. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

do you want to teach early years or primary aged children? I am not an expert but I would have thought that there are more primary aged ASD children (at least those who are diagnosed and have additional support for their ASD) than in EYs.

3. MissRobinson4

MissRobinson4 New commenter

I trained for Early Years 5 yrs ago, now teach in a ASD/Complex MLD SEN secondary school!!
    The training you get in early years PGCE will help you with sequencing, phrasing, rewards etc. but honestly the best thing you can do once you've completed your training is get yourself on a TEACCH course or similar. Also if you are interested in SEN why not look into SEN PGCEs?