1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Early Years interview at UCB.

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by shaikh89, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Hi all. :)

I was wondering if anybody could help me/ give me a bit of advice please. I've got an interview for a PGCE Early Years course at University College Birmingham (UCB) soon and I've got 4 tasks in total.

In the morning, I have to go to a school and read a story to a reception class. I'm thinking of taking a story sack as this will enable me to interact with the children more and they will be more interested in the story as there are props. Should I plan an activity that the children can do after I?ve read the story and for when I leave?

I also have to complete a 30 minute written task. In my letter I was told that I would be asked to reflect on the theory and practice of teaching young children. I know which theorists I want to talk about, but I am having trouble with how much theory to include. Any advice?

I've also got to present a 5 minute A3 poster presentation on an area of the early years curriculum to a group. I'm doing it on ICT in early years, but again I'm struggling with how much information to include. A3 isn't very big so there is only so much I can include on the poster. I was thinking of having a few bullet points and pictures to accompany the different areas of ICT that I will be talking about.

Then there?s the maths test which I am dreading as maths isn?t my strongest area at all! Lol. Does anyone know what kind of questions they will ask and to what level of maths it will be? Exactly how much maths do I need to know?

Any advice/help will be much appreciated :) Thank you!

2. Hi Becky,
    I've got an interview at the UCB this Thursday 9th May, i'm struggling for ideas on what theories to use and discuss in my english writing test. Could you please help in suggesting a few things or tips please. Much appreciated.

Rabiya.

3. Have replied to your pm Rabiya :)

4. Hi Becky and Everyone else. I would like some help if possible, I have an interview next week at UCB which I'm really happy about, however I'm stuck. I don't have a clue where to start and feel nervous. I am going to do my presentation on SEN and Disabilities does anyone have any ideas what to include, the types of theory into practice. Thank you all.

Nee05