1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE early years interview at London Metropolitan University

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by zippygeorgeandben, Nov 23, 2011.

1. zippygeorgeandben

zippygeorgeandben Occasional commenter

Hi Becky.

If I was you, I'd talk about the current educational hot potato, particularly concerning EY at the moment which is Phonics. Your course will no doubt involve teaching phonics,writing about the theory of phonics etc.

Hope this helps a bit

2. Hi,

I agree about the phonics, it is an age old problem but one that really has been contested and thrashed over the past year. You could tie it in with the need to make children aware of sounds from the environment as per phase One of Letters and Sounds. Look up about children having declining speech and language acquisition skills when they enter school at the moment and they need all the help they can get... phonics may help but it's not the miracle answer. Read all you can around it,oh yes and look up about the new benchmarking that is going to be used in Year One regarding the testing of phonics.

Regarding the test, don't worry too much, they are just checking to see that entrants are numerate and have a good average standard of maths skills. Doing some of the QTS skills test practise questions wouldn't hurt.

Use your knowledge as a TA and your experiences as a selling point - try and link your knowledge in with their questions demonstrating that you can understand what is required in a self evaluating way and within practise. If you have photos take them, but don't use them unless they are going to be used as a useful tool to back up what you are talking about. There is nothing worse than using photos as a time filler as you can't think of anything else to say. Also, try and prepare at least two or three questions you'd like to ask them; all provide opportunities to gain brownie points. Good Luck!

3. Thank you both for the phonics advice-i will look into it and try and get more info on it. Slowly thinking about more issues that i can read up on in preparation...the course focuses on EAL kids, so would like to tie in issues to that and phonics sounds like it would be a really good one to talk about.

4. If you wanted to bring in multi-culturalism into your phonics discussion, then I have over time noticed that if we say good morning in another language the children really have to listen to the word in order to repeat it correctly and you can pick up their ability to actually hear sounds correctly which is the very basis of phonics. I have noticed that there is a distinct correlation between the children who begin to blend and segment sounds quickly and their ability to hear the word and repeat correctly. This ability also improves as the children progress with their phonics. We use the website of a school called Newbury Park Redbridge which has a fantastic language of the month section where children themselves speak in their own language. I have taught EAL and bilingual children and found that they are usually at an advantage with this so it helps with self-confidence and self-esteem too.

5. Hi Clare-sorry, i only just noticed your comment today-but thank you for sharing-the correlation that you mention is really interesting. Yes, I stumbled upon the Newbury park website a while ago and was also really impressed by their language of the month section.
    I just found out that I got onto the early years PGCE course today, and I can't wait to start teaching EAL and bilingual children. I've done a lot of research into the benefits of bilingualism for young children and it's an isse that i've felt very strongly about for a long time. Although both of my parents are bilingual and I am half-Serbian, my parents chose not to raise my brother and I as bilingual...and it's something that I'm still bitter about! (Although I have long forgiven them)!
    i'm excited by the prospect of encourgaing my future pupils to use their home languages and to be proud of their linguistic and cultural heritage.