1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE DT or Science? Job prospect questions

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Linds0489, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Hey, I'm hoping this is the right place to post. I'm looking for some opinions from current DT teachers.
    I'm applying to start a PGCE in September, my application has been finished for a while but I've been delaying sending it because I'm unsure whether there will be jobs for me after completing the PGCE. My undergraduate degree is in biology, I'm currently studying for a masters in food science and nutrition and what I really want to teach is food tech and textiles. Will there be jobs in DT when I graduate from the PGCE course in 2013?
    I know no one can really be sure, but what are you opinions? Are jobs in DT short already? Will there be absolutely no jobs if DT is removed from the curriculum?
    My second option is to apply for PGCE science and/or biology but food is what I love, I'm worried I won't love the subject enough to be a good science teacher :(
    Any help/comments will be greatly appreciated :)

2. Hey, I'm hoping this is the right place to post. I'm looking for some opinions from current DT teachers.
    I'm applying to start a PGCE in September, my application has been finished for a while but I've been delaying sending it because I'm unsure whether there will be jobs for me after completing the PGCE. My undergraduate degree is in biology, I'm currently studying for a masters in food science and nutrition and what I really want to teach is food tech and textiles. Will there be jobs in DT when I graduate from the PGCE course in 2013?
    I know no one can really be sure, but what are you opinions? Are jobs in DT short already? Will there be absolutely no jobs if DT is removed from the curriculum?
    My second option is to apply for PGCE science and/or biology but food is what I love, I'm worried I won't love the subject enough to be a good science teacher :(
    Any help/comments will be greatly appreciated :)

3. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

Science! all day long!
    If you were training as PD, RM or Engineering then you may stand a chance, but food and textiles seems swamped at present (take a look at the amount of people seeking Food and Textiles jobs on here and then look at the vacancies)
    If you're after a secure career, Science is the way to go! It'll always be safe as it will remain a core subject regardless of whatever useless tw@ts are in westminster. you could always look into changing subject once you qualify, QTS is QTS specific subject is a by-product. And if a massive demand suddenly appears for DT teachers (thats about 3-5 years avay at the moment, we're currently at the low-ebb of the 12ish year cycle) you can change.
    just my opinion.
    best of luck with whatever you choose.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

^ The first bit of this - SCIENCE.
    I can teach RM and still jobseeking after 18 months, don't do it!
    Like BigPedro said if D&T returns you can always look at a transition course but please don't let your spirit get crushed along with the rest of us by training to do D&T now. Best of luck xx

5. Thanks for the replies. I had noticed the amount of people seeking DT jobs and the lack of DT jobs in TES :(
    I'll get in touch with the universities offering science PGCEs and see if they still have places open.
    Good luck with the jobseeking littlmissraw, I'm sure something will come along in the end! x

6. As a dedicated food teacher Im afraid atm science is probably the way to go. BUT in my area most of the food teachers (including myself) are in our 50s - so I predict that in a few years there will be vacancies & I believe that this will be the case in many areas judging by the exam training days I have been on in the last couple of years
    I also think you will find that there have been several cases of science teachers changing to food - for GCSE the theory is very similar - especially if you the school does food & nutrition GCSE
    good luck

7. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

I know I started it, but isn't it a little depressing that pretty much everyone is so down about the subject's prospects [​IMG]

8. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I'm down about the prospect of getting ANY job lately (if that makes you feel better [​IMG]) x

9. I love my job and have taught D&T since the 1980's but the introduction of the baccalaureate as a standard for judging schools' performance, the down-grading of BTECs and the proposals for the curriculum (all of which are about saving money and nothing to do with educating a creative nation in my opinion!!) do mean D&T jobs will be scarce.
    Can you train in science and have D&T as a subsidiary subject?
    On a positive note, flexible, multi-subject teachers may well be in demand in the near future with falling roles etc!