1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE - doubts

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by EdBern99, Aug 24, 2015.

1. I had planned to do a PhD. Got no funding so decided to do a PGCE.

Having met lots of teachers and done visits, I now think this will be a mistake. My heart is in my academic subject not teaching children.

Trouble is I'm struggling to find another career (instead of academic study) and need to work. It's been months now.

Advice please

2. Hi,

My advice is to take some time to think about what you want. You are an educated person so even if it's a retail job you need time to process where to reapply to etc. Don't just take lots of people's opinions on board, try things out . Push on doors and see which ones open. a good job to do in the mean time would be tutoring/ta'ing/something in your subject area because it will all go down well on your cv. You need to make your mind up yourself in the Pgce front but I do wish you the very best and hope this advice helps in some way.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Your motivation for going into teaching is to fill a gap because you can't do what you want to.

Not a good idea or a solid basis for getting through a PGCE.

You really need to talk with a careers adviser about what other careers would be suitable.

Check whether your old university is able to offer alumni services

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

If this is true (and from your post, it sounds like it is), then you are probably right - going into teaching would be a mistake. Teaching is hard work and relentless (if you're having a tough day you can't put the next lesson off until tomorrow!), but worth it if it's what you want to do.

However, saying that, you have got a place on a PGCE course (must have convinced somebody you would make a good teacher!), and have no particular idea of what to do next if you don't do the PGCE. I think it is worth considering spending a year doing the course while you think what to do next. If you find teaching definitely isn't for you, it's only a year so the end will be in sight. Or you might find you do enjoy some aspects of teaching more than you expect. In a year's time you will have QTS (qualified teacher status), which is another string to your bow and yours for life, even if you don't do anything in teaching for many years.

5. MisterW

MisterW New commenter

If your heart is not in it, then I would say don't do it. Remember that when schools take on student teachers this comes at some cost to the schools and their pupils. I'm not talking money here, but the other associated costs - mentors give up their time (unpaid) to coach and support the student teachers, experienced teachers have to hand over their classes to the trainee and as a result the quality of the educational experience that the pupils receive is poorer. This is all very well if the trainee goes on to become a teacher and contribute years of experience to the profession, but if they drop out during or shortly after the training then quite frankly everyone's time has been wasted.

Perhaps take some time out, take any old job (shop, bar etc) and think about what you want to do. You could arrange some more work experience in schools during this time to take some more time to expore the profession and decide if it's for you.

Good luck.

6. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I agree that if your heart's not in it you will find the PGCE year really difficult. Its hard for some people who are really passionate about teaching, never mind if you don't think you want to teach. Take some time, get some more school experience. Don't rush into it.

7. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Whilst I was never 100 percent sure when i was in your position of where i wanted to go I agree with MisterW totally. You seem to have grave doubts, rather than ' I will do it for a few years, but not sure if it is me long term' doubts.

It really isn't a job you can fall into because you can't do something else and be fine and dandy. Twenty, thirty, forty years ago it probably was. Not now.