1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Distance Learning Courses

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Joe1506, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Joe1506

Joe1506 New commenter

Hey everyone,
    I want to become eligible to teach at International Schools Primary School level British Curriculum.
    I am currently an ESL teacher working in Vietnam for the
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    Hanoi.
    I have 5 years teaching experience as a primary school ESL teacher , 4 years in public school in South Korea and 1 year here in Vietnam.
    I have heard about two distance learning PGCE's one from Sunderland University and one from Nottingham IPGCE.
    The one from Sunderland is 6,250 Pounds and the one from Nottingham is 3,500 pounds.The difference between the two course is that the Sunderland course requires that you do two teaching practicums throughout the course while the Nottingham course is all theory based, essays and research project only.
    I read today that the Sunderland course teaching practice has to be done at an International School where English is the language of induction. I work for a Korean International School and they don't fit this requirement so that is a deal breaker for me as I can't afford to be out of work. So now I'm leaning towards doing the Nottingham IPGCE course. Does anyone have any experience and success with either course.
    If you have any advice about what options are open to me please reply.
    I am from the Republic of Ireland.
    Sincerely
    Joseph

2. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Have you posted this elsewhere on the forum? This might not be the best place for answers.

I have never heard of a PGCE course that doesn't require teaching practice as a vital part of the course, usually two main placements and a week in a primary school if you aim to teach in secondary.

Have you seen the important note at the bottom of the page for the Nottingham course?

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/education/study/pgcei/index.aspx

I'd contact the university and schools you might think about applying to before you part with your money. Make sure the course will give you licence to teach.

Good luck.

3. Joe1506

Joe1506 New commenter

Thanks for your reply. I'm new to this website so I didn't really know where to post yet. I see on the Nottingham website that it says this course does not give you licence to teach in the UK or elsewhere. Which is not very encouraging. The Sunderland course looks legitimate. I'd really like to do that one but unfortunately I am in a full time job for the
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    in Hanoi teaching ESL, and applicants for the course must be teaching in a school where English is the language of induction. I have contacted the University just to be sure that rules me out but they are very slow to reply. I will consider starting a distance learning masters in Tesol or Appled Linguistics and English Language Teaching from Nottingham. I would also like to do a CELTA but I am just restricted because of working full time. Thanks again for your reply.

4. Vladimir

If you want to discuss anything further, why not send me a PM?

5. danielleom

danielleom New commenter

I would love to learn about this as well. I understand that the Nottingham course does not offer you a licence to teach in UK but I am not British and I have no intention to move there. My interest is to teach in international school in Asia. Given that, is the IPGCE from Nottingham enough?

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You would need to contact the individual schools or governments concerned as their requirements will vary.
    In my opinion, as England's own routes to teaching are sometimes not recognised abroad I would be very wary of any course which wouldn't even qualify you in the country which offers it. I think they are taking your money and giving very little back.

7. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Post this over in the Teaching Overseas forum as there will be people there who have experience of these courses

cissy3 likes this.
  8. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

9. Vladimir

I'd do some shopping around even for the MA TESOL. If you're looking at the one I am on the Nottingham funding site, it will cost you around £8,800. You can find courses leading to a similar qualification for a lot less, for example, at Portsmouth. Some of these courses are as rip off considering the nonsense they teach.