1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Dilemma

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Englishwannabe, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Englishwannabe

Englishwannabe New commenter

Hello,
    I am having somewhat of a dilemma, and am in need of some advice. I have secured a place on a PGCE course starting in September. This was my third (!) time trying to gain a place on a course, however; now I am having a massive case of not being sure if it the right thing for me to do. I have lots of experience working in education, I would be able to live for the year on just the student loan- there are lots of reasons why I can start in September. But, this is a bit but, my head just doesn't feel in the right place to undertake a massive change in direction.
    Are you able to defer a PGCE course a year? I don't want to give up on an opportunity that I have wanted for so long, but, I don't want to start the course and regret it and give up.
    I lurk on TES almost daily, but have never felt the need to post before.
    Thank you.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Just do it. If you wait until your head is in the right place you'll never make the change because you will always have nerves and apprehension.

3. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

You tried 3 times to get onto a course - sounds like someone who really wants it.

Change is good. You have 8 months to prepare. Relax, enjoy.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

As far as I know, you are not able to defer a PGCE course; you either do it or you give up the place and reapply another year. Which, as you've said, would be a shame since you've been trying for so long to get a place! I would go ahead with it, as you've got a good while until September to prepare yourself.

5. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

No, you can't defer because of the way that teacher training places are allocated to providers.