1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Cumbria / other providers with NI students

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Simp3, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Simp3

Simp3 New commenter

Hi
    I'm from Northern Ireland and I am wanting to find out about Cumbria's PGCE and how the last Placement works? Do you do the Placement in a NI school and who does the observation? Is it someone from Cumbria Uni or someone from one of the Northern Irish Unis?

Also if you didn't go toCumbria did your provider do any Placements in NI. I know most of them will have to be done in England.
    Any info /advice would be gratefully received?

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Probably best to contact the university itself as it would be able to answer your questions....

3. Simp3

Simp3 New commenter

Thanks, I will contact them but thought it might be good to hear firsthand from someone who has done it in practice.

4. rolls

rolls New commenter

At Bradford we have students from Northern Ireland. The first placement is done in Bradford or Leeds and then the second is undertaken in NI, usually arranged by the student. Someone from Bradford would go out to see them on placement and liaise regularly with the school. However, it would mean that the student would have to do well on their fist placement if there was any danger of them needing weekly visits by a tutor they would be advised to do a second placement in Yorkshire.
    We have had PGCE students and students on our two year post Foundation Degree QTS top from NI. I think a lot of institutions will consider sending staff to undertake observations in NI but as was previously stated you need to check with institutions before applying.

5. Simp3

Simp3 New commenter

Rolls, Thanks so much for your reply . It's really interesting, I hadn't realised that Bradford also lets students do it.

6. rivka2176

rivka2176 New commenter

I'm on the Cumbria PGCE and the NI students were told in our first few weeks that if they wanted to do the final placement in NI then they just had to go tell the placement team