1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE course provider advice

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by makingtrails13, Jan 20, 2016.

1. makingtrails13

makingtrails13 New commenter

Hello,

I will be undertaking a Secondary PGCE Geography course for 2016 entry but I'm hoping for some advice on course providers from some people in the know! My universities are:

- University of Sussex
    - University of Southampton
    - Edge Hill University

If anyone has any reviews or advice on these course providers, then please do feel free to share. I'm at a loss of which to choose as they all have different things that I am looking for in a university and training programme.

Thanks!

2. biancalang03

biancalang03 New commenter

I am a recent University of Southampton graduate and I can safely say it is a fantastic university. It offers a LOT to all its students, has fantastic resources and most lecturers are dedicated and really good at what they do. The campus is lovely and the student life is exceptional.

makingtrails13 likes this.
  3. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

All three of those listed are good and well respected, from the perspective of a future employer.

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Edge Hill has tremendous success when it comes to their students gaining teaching posts at the end of the course. I think it is one of their strengths. I suspect the level / quality of support from tutors may vary but doubt this is not just an issue here. I can honestly say that from my experience it will do a lot to get you through your course. Much funding has been pumped into the state of the art campus - it is impressive - its location however may not suit everyone. Read the Ofsted reports on your short listed providers - that may help.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The main question is what part of the country do you want to teach in? Most NQTs secure posts close to their training. There are very different cost of living considerations being up North to down South!

6. makingtrails13

Thanks for this! May I ask what you graduated in?

7. makingtrails13

That is good to know. Thank you.

8. makingtrails13

Thanks so much for this - the campus is absolutely insane! However I'm also well aware that, as PGCE courses go, I won't be spending a huge amount of time on campus. But they are very well respected in terms of developing good teachers and both the course and course leader sound great. It's a tough one - if it was down south I don't think I would hesitate. But then Southampton would let me leave with more additional qualifications... Oh I don't know!

9. makingtrails13

This is also very true. Thank you.

10. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

If it helps, Edge Hill do send quite a lot of their students out on what are called 'remote placements' in other parts of the country. I've got a cohort of 25 primary trainees from Edge Hill who started a placement here with me last Monday...

11. makingtrails13

Oh ok that is really useful to know. I'm quite drawn to Southampton to be honest but I'm trying to be as logistical at possible by looking at each fairly! I've still got a few days to decide though