1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE course confusion

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ally2900, Jan 19, 2019.

1. ally2900

ally2900 New commenter

Hey All

I am really confused with Primary courses that offer only QTS. To give you a brief summary :

I was successfully accepted onto a PGCE with QTS on Wednesday...decided with the travel and distance I didn't want to go to that particular city. I noticed that a PGCE primary course had come available in my area. I ran them up and spoke to a lady who told me that the course was franchised out by a University in London. So, basically they offer the same course in London, but had decided to fraternise the PGCE out to the area where I live. The course was rated 'Outstanding' by OFSTEAD, and all seemed good.

Decided to apply but had no choice but to withdraw all my offers. Today, I was looking at the course again and noticed that on the London website, the course code is different. Under qualification it says 'QTS' and the following :-

"Qualified teacher status (QTS) allows you to teach in state schools in England. If you want to teach in the rest of the UK or internationally, consider a course that gives you the qualification ‘postgraduate certificate in education with qualified teacher status’ instead".

On the website of the University where I live, the title is 'PGCE Primary' but it doesn't give any reference to QTS.

I now have a horrible feeling that this is not a 'proper' PGCE with QTS course. I cannot ring anybody as it's the weekend.

Any suggestions?!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

So you had applied and accepted an offer of a place.
    Saw another place that might be better.
    Withdrew your acceptance of the first place.
    Then researched the second and realised it isn't what you wanted.

I think you may well have caused yourself all kinds of problems here.

If this course isn't what you want, then you'll need to apply to some others and start the process again.
    PGCE will be your best bet if you aren't doing a BEd.

CWadd likes this.
  3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Erk.

I think you'll need to apply again.

I wouldn't put too much stock on a PGCE based in your area. The university part may be, but your placements could be anywhere in 100 mile radius. I completed my PGCE at York Uni, but the placements for trainees ranged from Scarborough to York to Selby to Northallerton. Check with the provider before you apply.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Stay away from fraternisers.