1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Conversion Course?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by findo3112, Jul 20, 2018.

1. findo3112

findo3112 New commenter

Hi

I finished my PGDE last year in music (although in my second placement I did 50/50 music and history). I am currently completing a masters in education; therefore, I didn't just jump straight into a full time teaching position. Instead, I have spent this year supply teaching. During this time I have only really taught History and I have fell in love with the subject.

My music degree was mainly history (focused on modern Russia) and I have spent a long time studying history in my spare time. Subject knowledge is not something I would struggle with and strategies for teaching and learning are something I have been developing all year.

I wondered if there was any course out there that I could take to convert my PGCE into history.

Thanks for your help

James

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

I’m sorry but I’m not aware of any. I know there are conversion courses for maths and science but as far as I know you have to have a permanent contract with a school to be able to apply.

install and findo3112 like this.
  3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

QTS is not subject specific. You can apply to teach music or history and in your application you can set out what subject knowledge you have that merits your status as a potential history teacher. Being able to dabble in the music as well as be a history teacher makes you an attractive proposition to a school with a strong presence in the performing arts.

4. findo3112

findo3112 New commenter

Thank you for this info. I wondered if that was the case because it doesn't say it on the certificate. That is most helpful!

agathamorse likes this.
  5. findo3112

findo3112 New commenter

T
    That's all I could find too. Thank you for looking

agathamorse likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Just get applying for history jobs and talk up your supply experience as well as your training.

ViolaClef and agathamorse like this.
  7. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Once you have QTS you can teach anything. I’ve taught most subjects across. The entire age range from EYFS to y13. The independent sector would probably jump at a combined music and history teacher as others have said. Make sure you list all your history experience and your passion for history in your applications. Good luck!

install, ViolaClef and Piranha like this.
  8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

You might well be able to start off as a Music teacher who also does a little History. This would give you more options to start. Once you have done that for a bit, your credibility as a History teacher would be much better.

ViolaClef and agathamorse like this.