1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE Christmas Break

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mathstrainee, Apr 20, 2012.

1. I know it's a bit early to think about this, but I need to book flights very soon.
    I'm starting PGCE in September and my county's Christmas break officially starts on Monday 24th December, but I'm wondering whether PGCE students have to be in the school right until the end or do we get more time off, i.e. a week before?
    Many thanks!

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Usually your dates will coincide with school term dates, although the last day or two will probably be spent in university.
    This information is probably on your university's website, or e-mail the course leader if you can't find anything.

3. We were in right until the end, minus one day in uni. But as it's so close to Christmas, it might be different- and different providers do different things- in different years! Your best bet is to phone your uni to find out.

4. Hi,

Many thanks for replies. I spoke to Uni earlier today and they basically told me it depends on the school! Not sure how accurate this information is.

5. It sounds pretty accurate. Depending on the university you are very likely to be in school until the last day, as I would imagine that you would be on block placement at this time. This has been the case for my trainees in the last two years.

6. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

And mine.