1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PGCE/Cert Ed & BA (HONS) What do I need to teach in secondary and/or primary?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by jonluc, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Hi Im a qualified tutor in acting/drama and media. I gained BA HONS 2:1 in Theatre & Media in 2006, then a PGCE Cert Ed in 2007 followed by QTLS (not QTS) in 2010 However after a stint in FE I was wondering about applying for working in secondary or primary schools but I have been told I need to be at QTS level. I have also been told that although I have a science qual at ACCESS (AS) level that it is not enough. I need a science GCSE Please help!

2. Hi Im a qualified tutor in acting/drama and media. I gained BA HONS 2:1 in Theatre & Media in 2006, then a PGCE Cert Ed in 2007 followed by QTLS (not QTS) in 2010 However after a stint in FE I was wondering about applying for working in secondary or primary schools but I have been told I need to be at QTS level. I have also been told that although I have a science qual at ACCESS (AS) level that it is not enough. I need a science GCSE Please help!

3. Hi,

A
    proposal was made last year that candidates with QTLS should be eligible to
    work in state-maintained primary/secondary schools. The announcement is due 1
    April though if it is confirmed that you are eligible, you will need sufficient
    classroom experience before you can apply for teaching positions.

If
    you choose to apply for secondary teacher training you won’t need a science
    GCSE, though if you are applying for primary you can contact individual
    training providers to find out whether they will accept any equivalent qualification
    you have.

I
    wish you all the best in your efforts to become a teacher